To all you running modern set ups on old frames/bikes

chris86

Old School Hero
What do you find are the most beneficial modern parts/upgrades to an old bike. eg wide bars and shorter stems, longer forks etc.
I have a couple frames from 92-94 that I really like, they stand me very little but Id like them to ride a lot better. I will be going with a 1x9 setup and rigid forks but I was curious how other people got round this.
Thanks

High volume tires for performance. Modern rims for durability, performance, and price.

Lots of other modern upgrades like forks and stems mess with the geometry of older frames.

The rest is a toss up. Modern shifters and Derailleurs are great ... Love them, but I haven't had any issues with my m900 and xt735 clad retro bikes.

Tyres and brakes are an immediate noticeable hit. Maybe rims. (To complement the tyres)
The rest is nice, but you are into diminishing returns very quickly.

Thats pretty much the way Im going. Modern wheels, tyres and gearing. I have disc tabs to braze on so I can run discs, this should cover all the main areas I feel let down older bikes and the rest will be upgraded to newer parts as and when something breaks or wears out.

8 speed rear cassette...................................

but shorter stems and slightly wider bars are more comfy, oh and lock on grips, ******* genius!

Re:

Why bother? Buy a modern bike and relish what 20+ years of R&D does to ride quality and then take the retro bike out on sunny days for the nostalgia trip. I have built my own bikes up with modern bits in the past but they are better with period kit. They no doubt ride better with modern parts but then they're not really retro anymore are they? :?

There is a huge glut of second hand mountain bikes at the moment, one of my modern ones was only ~10% of the original RRP!

Horses for courses, innit?

SP

Not really, I far prefer the look of my old steel frames and anything new I like the look of is £££££

Sounds like a lot of bother brazing on disc tabs, then presumably repainting etc

V brakes and decent rubber, Cant see much benefit beyond that

Back