Bontrager BCX1 Red vs Mavic 217 SUP

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Wondering which out of these two rims is higher end, how do they compare in terms of fit, finish, manufacture, strength, weight and longevity? And which do you prefer?
Any other examples of a high end light weight rim from the 90ies?

Re:

My only comment on the Bontragers is that they were in my opinion too thinly walled. The BCX1&2 (note necessarily Red?) were fitted to my KHS and I don't think they made it much beyond the '93 season so were replaced with a set of Mavic 217s.

Re:

The 217s are very good.

One thing to consider is $$$ though. I good set of NOS 217s is at least $100-120+++U.S.

The newer mavic 317 is nearly identical to the 217. Comes in black or silver 32h/36h and has a machined side wall for better performance. Several places online still have them for 60US a pair.

The Mavic 717 is also an option. Likely the best 26" clincher ever. It's a bit more $$ but still likely less than NOS stuff.

Re: Re:

jimi911":12y5qhyd said:
The 217s are very good.

One thing to consider is $$$ though. I good set of NOS 217s is at least $100-120+++U.S.

The newer mavic 317 is nearly identical to the 217. Comes in black or silver 32h/36h and has a machined side wall for better performance. Several places online still have them for 60US a pair.

The Mavic 717 is also an option. Likely the best 26" clincher ever. It's a bit more $$ but still likely less than NOS stuff.

Thanks for that jim.
Did 317 come in 317 and 317 SUP?

And 717?

Weight wise are they more or less the same? (217/317/717)

Re: Re:

Once A Hero":37zs05b9 said:
My only comment on the Bontragers is that they were in my opinion too thinly walled. The BCX1&2 (note necessarily Red?) were fitted to my KHS and I don't think they made it much beyond the '93 season so were replaced with a set of Mavic 217s.
Thanks man, I heard that too!
So I think the Mavic would be a better bet?

I am using a set of Mavic XM-317's for my Romax build (will be a blend of new and old parts, not completely period specific, but a very retro-looking daily rider). Lovely rims, found them hiding in the back of a LBS. Price was right.

What does 'SUP' stand for?

(S.U.P. rims are welded at the seam and then machined to leave perfectly parallel braking surfaces)

Back