94 GT Zaskar - rear hub part number, spec?

smitty

Retro Newbie
Hi -

Anyone know where to find the part number for my rear hub? Guess I haven't looked in the right places yet, on the hub or online..

Also, if I could find measurement specs, maybe I could find a suitable substitute...

Thanks!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... -prod67242

Zaskar otr Zaskar LE? Also assuming complete bike, if and LE then the rear hub would be FH-M900, of not then it would be FH-M737.
If it was a frame only and built up, then you need to figure out what hub it is... but weither way the one I linked up above will work, you could buy other stuff, but there you go, most likely 32 hole...thats assuming original build on a complete bike either LE or not and not a built up wheel.

Re:

Thanks T'Boo Ted...

My bike is "non-LE" & has the original XT groupset. Looks like the FH-M737 is the XT version and the FH-M900 is XTR. Still trying to learn a bit about how hubs are spec'd - spokes, spacing, axle diam, speed compatibility, etc. Just had the bearing serviced and the tech said the races are not in good shape, so I'm planning to buy a hub and learn to re-lace the wheel one day.

Yeah I don't know the tech details, never built a wheel myself, would like to but... I'd probably die from the imminent failure.
spacing would be 135, as everything mtb was 135 from the...lat 80 till pretty much recently. Old XT 737 was 8 speed, I am still running some of those parralex hubs as 9 speed, I think from memory had to change the freebody to run it, but it was so long ago, and I got my lbs to do it.
I've never actually thought about it, I 've got a pair of thse hubs I linked to to bulild up a wheel one day before non dics hubs dissappear, but no idea what is needed to run an old cassette...it says 8-9-10 speed, but my road wheels that are 10-11 speed came with a spacer to run 10 speed...

Re:

Well, now starting to see a bit about specs and how they are applied. Appears my hub is:

135mm (assume that is inside to inside measurement of dropouts)
10mm axle diameter (again, I assume that is the portion of the axle that fits into the dropouts)
8 speed compatible (assume that has to do with the length of the spline)
32 spoke

Re-lacing a wheel - for some reason, I think I'd enjoy re-lacing my wheel just to say I did it. Probably have the LBS do the final true/spoke tension. So, that new hub available at chain reaction cycles should be a retro-fit, far as I can tell. Probably what I'll go with, because N.O.S. - really spendy, another used hub - may have a short lifespan

Might seem silly that I'm not just taking measurements of my hub for comparison sake, but - I have a reason. I currently have a broken leg and cannot get my bike of the storage hook in the garage.

Appreciate the info!!

8-9-10 is the same spline. Some 10s need a thin spacer. 7 also fits with a spacer, 2 and a bit mm iirc.
11 is a new, longer, design. New hubs come with a spacer to make it the same length as the old one. So you can drop your 8-9-10 cassette on to it.

If you want to try lacing and building your own, get a copy of Roger Mussons book, it's about 9€ as a download. And has everything you need to know in it.
I'm into the 50s now based on Rogers book and only had 3 bad builds. All on second hand rims that'd been abused/over tensioned and then given up on by the original builder....... (They came good eventually!)

Re:

Youtube is the answer to wheelbuilding.
Once you get the right spoke lengths for the hubs and rims its fairly straightforward as long as you concentrate.

Back