Manitou 1's re-assembly

Crayons

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Does anyone know which order the elastomers/washers go back in on Mani 1's?

Taken apart for a service prior to fitting to the Chance and I wanted to make sure they went back together correctly.

I've got the following (per leg):

1x Long elastomer (3")
1x Short elastomer (less than 1")
2x Washers

When it came apart it seems as though the order was:

Large elastomer / washer / small elastomer / washer

If anyone has a manual for these that would be great (searched the interweb to no avail)

Crazy thing is I must have serviced loads BITD – clearly the old memory does go with age :LOL:

Nope, from the bottom of the stanchion down, there has to be a washer first, as this pushes the lower bush back in place. Small elastoner, washer, large elastomer. You can swap the elastomers around, except the small one on the bottom is hard to keep in place on reassembly that way, but it offers no functional advantage.
;)

elite504":26m1jo4o said:
Nope, from the bottom of the stanchion down, there has to be a washer first, as this pushes the lower bush back in place. Small elastoner, washer, large elastomer. You can swap the elastomers around, except the small one on the bottom is hard to keep in place on reassembly that way, but it offers no functional advantage.
;)

nick, you get full credit for riding your mani forks :D

Hey, The guy that sold them to me originally made contact recently saying he had the booklet to go with them! He has my address to send them on but has now mislaid the booklet. How anoying is that!!

sorry to wake the dead, but i thought a picture from my recent disassembly might be helpful! elite was certainly correct...

#1: Stanchions and lowers. Must have seen some use, judging by the stanchion polish ~2" down from the crown. There's a nylon (teflon?) bushing just inside the top of the lowers, right behind a wiper seal, that locates the top of the lowers.

1.jpg

#2: The guts, in order. Nylon bushing fits over the step on the end of the stanchions (to locate the end of the stanchions), then a washer, then a short elastomer (~1"), then another washer, then a long elastomer (~3"). The whole stack is held together by the long allen bolt, which passes through the end of the stanchion, then all the guts, and threads into the bottom of the lowers.

2.jpg

A couple oddities:

a) the right side (in the picture) has a small back elastomer between the bolt head and the inside of the stanchion cap...missing on the left.

b) the left side must have been severely overtightened, as the elastomers are grossly distorted. Possibly due to the missing black elastomer cushion?

c) the 1/2 circle at bottom left appears to be elastomer material and was essentially a collar around the bottom end of the long elastomer. No sign of anything similar on the right.

At initial inspection, a small amount of elastomer fragments came out of the lowers...can't remember which/both sides. Remnants of the left black one? Right lower collar? I couldn't say. They were pretty dark in color, but I didn't inspect them thoroughly. Also complicating the forensics is the fact that the previous owner knew it wasn't working well, so dumped some fork oil from his dirt bike into the lowers! Why not, eh?

Here ya go. If you need larger, I can email. Cheers.

Attachments

• Man3.jpg
    Man3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,112
  • Man2.jpg
    Man2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,112
  • Man1.jpg
    Man1.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 1,112
  • ManA.jpg
    ManA.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,112
Me and Hilts did his Mani 1s over a few weeks back after a gut full of Chish & Fips and a large volume of Greene King.. Don't remember what we did as a result but they seemed to work after :LOL:

I think he got a replacement elastomer kit from somewhere?

Back