Cracked alu dropout on RM Element... Advice?

randomdan

Retro Guru
20150615_203331_zpsejqvc09x.jpg

Circa 97 Rocky Mountain Element frame, drive side rear drop out. Looks like it's on it's second swing arm, so I'm not the first to break it.

I doubt RM still carry spares for something this old, and suspect this is the end of this frame, which is a shame as it rides lovely :cry: .

Everythings still holding together and still ridable. the dropout's cracked across the bolt hole which retains the replacable hanger. The metal at this point is thiner in both directions than the other side of the wheel.

Anyone know of anybody who might be able to weld/repair alu? or is this a dead loss?

Re:

I don't think anyone will be able to help you until you tell us where you are located, but FWIW I've seen other members here get aluminum frames repaired so if you love the frame enough and you live in a city with aluminum fabricators I'm sure you can get the job done.

Re:

Thanks, for info I'm near Sheffield (UK)

I do have a well respected frame builder right on my doorstep, Vernon Barker Cycles - may give them a try.

Thats repairable, just a question how much you want to pay.

Would recommend a brace across the top to prevent reoccurance,

Re:

This sounds fairly positive.

I'd be happy with a brace over, making it thicker, or even completely filling in that triangular shaped void with alu+weld! I'd ideally like more strength there for the future, the frame might be lightweight but I aint...

I'll ask Danson67, at this point I'll give anything a try. It's a nice ride, but I've spent lots already and I'm prepared to spend a bit more to keep it safe. Really don't want to have to write it off unless there is no alternative.

Re:

Glad to hear, it was sad to see this happen!

Once and a while, complete rear ends appear on ebay. Most of the time in Germany. I keep a close eye for you on that. As back up.

Well to be honest i think it might be telling me to loose a bit of weight and gain some finesse in my riding :) tbh i think i broke possibly the weakest part of the frame

Back