Old Bike Maintenance

59ctd

Retro Newbie
I am wondering what might be recommended maintenance type things before riding two bikes that have been in storage for almost 20 yrs. Bikes are a Trek 6000 Aluminum from 92 and an Alpinestars cromega lx from (I think) 1992. It appears everything works on them but should I be replacing the grease in the head tube or crank or hubs before we go out on a serious ride? Thanks!

Pull the cables and inspect for corrosion that could lead to a break and ruin yer day. Pull the tubes and inspect for dry/cracks. Reinflate tires and look for cracking. Brake pad check. Loose spoke check. Check the underside of the plastic seat body where it mounts to the rails. Cracks there can ruin other cracks.......
Shifters. Hubs/BB/Heads set grease and tightness. Grip tightness. Lube chain.

Re:

I've bought quite a few bikes of this age.

First thing I always do is clean the bike, warm soapy water. Removes crud/dust and great way to give it a look over.
GT85 EVERY joint/pivot/moving part. Lube the chain - Use a chain cleaner if it been stored covered in crap.

I usually bin the inner tubes and replace (Poundland !), they usually leach out
air if they're original and will just go down every couple of days.

Cables as above.

At the risk of saying 'they don't make em like they use to' I'm amazed at how little work
some 20+ y/o bikes need after being sat for ages in a garage. (Oh dear I said it).

Oh and at the risk of stating the obvious, take em for a spin round the block and check everything works before heading off into the wilds. Better something breaks within 5 mins of your house !

Re:

Found mine standing in a damp cellar with water under the floor boards but it was still rideable after having spent a similar number of years stored in unfavourable conditions. Best checking the condition of the BB, headset, seatpost, etc. If necessary, strip, clean and lube or grease the bike and all moving parts. After having old brake cables snap whilst riding I'd recommend complete recabling and brake pads. Tubes and tyres can perish over a long time so check these too. May be new chain. It all depends on the conditions the bike was stored in for that time and how it looks now.

Re:

Thanks for the tips guys. Washing with warm soapy water and a rag is the first order of business for the day. They have been hanging upside down in the garage for 18 years so lots of dust on the underside surfaces. Both bikes seem to work perfectly still. My wife and I bought these new in about 94 and probably only rode them a few times. There appears to be some discoloration around the bearings so I am sure the grease has seeped out over the years and is likely old and in need of cleaning and new grease.

How do I attach pics? Do I use the upload attachment or...?

Re:

Trying pic attachments...

Attachments

• 20150612_182007.jpg
    20150612_182007.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 922
  • 20150612_182147.jpg
    20150612_182147.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 922
Re:

Great looking bikes.

Must have been a very dry garage. It's good that they were hung up rather than left standing on the floor as that would have certainly led to cracks in the tyres over the years.

Back