Help identifying mystery GT bike

RogueGeek

Retro Newbie
Hello

I'm hoping the Retrobike community can help me identfy an old '90s model GT that I got from a friend several years ago. I have searched high and low and can't find anything to help me identify this bike.

I unearthed it a few weeks ago after years of being forgotten in a storage shed and decided to find out exactly what model it is. I spoke with my friend and he thinks it was a Zasker, but isn't sure. None on the serial number locations or formats match those that are supposed to be from a Zaskar. I've read that Avalanches and Panteras are often mistaken for Zaskers but I just can't find enough information to be sure which it is.

The welds look like they were done by hand. There is a number stamped on the flat end of the top tube 7 18 74 and a hand etched number under the crank 214480. There are no other markings on the bike.

I have a few pictures to help identify it https://goo.gl/photos/CDuwkU2MfCaL8uJv9

Any help identifying my mystery bike is most appreciated.

thanks
Brian

Re:

Inside the rear dropouts it should be marked with a serial No. and 6061 if it is a Zaskar but with that flat back plate and the gear hanger, I would say it is one :!: :D

Nah, it's just a low end GT Arrowhead, truuust me. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you. ;)

Seriously now, it looks like a 1991 Zaskar. Not sure about the markings though. 1991 Zaskar would be a good place to start researching.

Grumps

Uncle Grumpy":3lupabfm said:
Seriously now, it looks like a 1991 Zaskar. Not sure about the markings though. 1991 Zaskar would be a good place to start researching.

Grumps

Dont advise if you dont know what you're on about, it makes threads like these very long and boring

Its a 1990 or 1991 Zaskar or Pantera with a 1993 mech hanger added.

The U-brake Zaskar never had a replaceable dropout and if you zoom in, the drop out isnt flush as it would be on the later frame.

I'm going 1991 Pantera

Heres a good pic of a Zaskar to compare - the welding looks too neat for a Zaskar, they tend to be a bit indsutrial looking.

P1040338_zps8a99fa9d.jpg

If it is a Zaskar should it not have an eight digit frame number on the inside of the NDS dropout? I know some of them did not have a 6061 stamp, but I thought they all had the frame number that gives month/year of manufacture.

Rear hanger is sitting proud of the dropout meaning it was probably rigged onto the rear. Give us a photo of the rear dropout with the bike turned upside down.
No serial number on the inside of the left rear dropout? .

Back