Restoring 97 GT Avalanche LE - Help!

GTZaskarLE94

Dirt Disciple
Hi All

I am restoring my 97 GT Avalanche LE i've owned since I bought it in the California, USA. Unfortunately, as I had bought a 97 Zaskar post buying the Avalanche, it has been sitting in a storage shed in Brisbane for about the last 10 years.

It was a year they sold out and replaced the frame with 7005 Alu made in Taiwan.. Either way I'm going to restore it with retro/mod gear and was looking for some assistance in how to bring the frame back to a reasonable shine

Here are some pics.

Pre stripping

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,181
  • FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,182
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,181
  • FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,182
So I have stripped the frame, blasted it with high pressure water and given it the once over with autosol and some elbow grease.

I now was hoping to get your advice on how best to bring the frame back to reasonable condition. Should I hit it with fine steel wool to remove pitting and then finish with autosol and perhaps braso etc?

Some more pics below

Cheers All!
AB

here are the pics

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,156
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,156
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,156
  • FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,156
I made my Zaskar with 800sandpaper, where it has got scratches (next to the chain), and then just Autosol Aluminium, and patience... :D

97 era Avalanche/LE was not a ball burnished frame it was actually anodized in a color called "billet" It will never shine unless you sand it all off and that's a months worth of detail work.

Back