Old Bike Locked To A Railing

Aij29

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys

I live in a University town and there is an old Raleigh Montage locked to a railing in a car park,

The chain is off and completely rusted the tyres are flat and perished and its been there for ages,

I would love to own and restore a Montage (my first mtb)

What happens to this type of bike do the Council come along and remove it?

Is there a way I could buy it?

Cheers
Adrian

If it appears abandoned, photograph it in situ. Remove and notify plod of doing so inc frame number. Stick a notice in location you took it from.

After a few weeks (was 28 days) it's yours if not claimed.

Re:

There's nothing worse than going past a nice bike locked to railings everyday, seeing it suffering a slow demise piece by piece. Photograph it, record details and frame number and report to local plod shop. Sometimes they're stolen and have been chained/locked somewhere waiting for some 'oik' to collect them later – have seen this happen a few times down my local high street. You'll want to be careful about removing it yourself just in case you're mistaken as a thief.

This happened to me a month ago however with two BSOs in a ditch whilst out for a walk.
I reported the bikes to the police, and like THM and GBS photographed them and recorded the frame number. I got a letter saying they were mine after 14 days as they had been unclaimed.
I'm going to drop them off at my bicycle recycle place near me to be sent off to Africa or given to those less fortunate than ourselves.

When I lived in Brighton, I just hoovered the buggers up but then it was the 90's, I was young, reckless and full of gay abandon...

Re:

Hi

I have just spoken to my brother in law who is a police officer and he said because it is locked it is deemed as still being someones property so there is nothing I can do :?

What a waste!

Re:

There's an old Peugeot mtb near me, locked to railing, must have been there since before Christmas!! I don't think I'd want to ride it, it's probably not worth much, but I like the bike-re-cycle idea, better that someone has use of it rather than it rusting away quietly.

I'm more than happy to pass the ones I found on, they cost me nothing so why should I sell. They have no use to me. Make someone happy at the end of the day.

Re:

There was a fairly high end mid 90s saracen (segmented forks, seat tube piercing top tube, some nice upgrades, blonde panaracer xc magics - can't imagine how someone just left it) locked outside my local Sainsburys (also Brighton). Was the there for ages.

Sainsburys said the council would remove it eventually if abandoned and the council website said such bikes are given to a charity. I even called the charity but they never answer the phone. Don't know if the council took it in the end or someone braver (stupider?) than me.

Trouble is the council don't really have any way of knowing what's abandoned until it really starts to look it.

Back