Kona Faux-splosif - project cancelled

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've been after a 19" 1990 Kona Explosif for ages now but not found one. So I've been thinking about making a replica of sorts. A custom-built frame is out of the question due to cost so I'm considering re-spraying another Kona. A 1990 Lava Dome or Cinder Cone would be visually similar and they ride well but they're not made out of any snazzy steel. Next option is a 19" Kilauea, say 1994 made from Tange Prestige which should have a bit more zing. With a brazed-on brake cable guide a coat of paint I reckon it'd be pretty close to an older Explosif in terms of ride quality. I'd only start with a cosmetically-poor donor so I'm not destroying a perfectly good bike!

What do you think? Are there other options?

SP

Re:

My love of Konas is pretty much confined to 1990 and 2005 onwards! I have a 1990 Cinder Cone and Fire Mountain, I had a 1990 Lava Dome but it was too small :( so I'd really an Explosif, but in the absence of a real one... Incidentally I have a 1989 Explosif too!

Re: Kona Faux-splosif

If it's the paint job in particular you are after then use whatever frame you please and paint to suit. If it's the 1990 frame then hold out for a 1990 frame!

Re:

No point in building a fake, you wont feel right about it! One will come up eventually, remember patience is a virtue. Think about how you would feel when you finally find one compared to faking it?

Re:

Isn't this the case for all replicas? I reckon a powder coat and some model kit paint should do the trick, the original ones weren't clear-coated. I've spotted a suitable donor in eBay... :)

Re:

If you just want to stick some paint and stickers and pretend then don't get a 94 or 93 as their geometry etc had altered by then iirc so would not be quite right when you look at it.
If you want a similar feel then you'll need the two high end bikes of the 90/91 and maybe 92 check the tube specs as the lower end often had a different geometry, but the gas pipe tubes are also stiffer and less forgiving.
if you're not bothered with that then go for it. It's your money and you dream.

Latest posts

Back