Marzocchi Z2 Superfly restoration: FINISHED!!

SEANSTEPHENS

GT Fan
Feedback
View
i bought these cheap with the intention of tidying them up for use on my zaskar -> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=302527&start=70

They work okay but the paintwork is pretty rough, they are corroded almost anywhere there is paint. so i scratched through the paint with my key and it just crumbled away.... graphics are nicely intact though!

i'll need to get some paint stripper for the job (ideally something better than whats in a can of nitro mors nowadays) i probably wont dismantle the forks fully (unless i really should?) but mask them up and remove the brace and air valves. one problem i can see so far is that i will need to sand down all the corrosion before the new paint goes on but i wont be able to fit the sand paper in all of the tight spaces. is there another way that i can smooth the surface other than sanding?

cheers

Attachments

• p5pb12178624.jpg
    p5pb12178624.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,976
  • IMG_4291.JPG
    IMG_4291.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 1,975
Re: Marzocchi Z2 Superfly restoration???

Take them apart, undo the bolts at the bottom gently and over somewhere you don't mind a small bit of oil dripping (it's only lubrication oil)
The bits'n'bobs and damping oil are all in the stanchions on these. The air is in the lower leg.
(when you put them back together, you'll feel like you want to keep 'doing them up' don't you are just compressing n O-ring and if you do it to much you damage a £10 quid odd ferrule/cap Very Easily. I've done it, spacehopper did it, ...

They'll be easier to work on.

Re:

One of the bolts in the brace is rounded off and i cant Unscrew it. Is the best way to remove it to drill it out?

Sean

I would be inclined to use penetrating oil and try a torx rammed in first. Then try a reverse drill bit.
But if it comes to it and you do drill to the bolt, it may take the brace with it (I forget how thick it is where it clams against, so best check that).
they are shallow/short heads on these bolts.

Hm, I think, good opportunity to rebuild it totally.
Print new stickers, polish it, and paint it partially to a unique Zasqua color... :)
Then it will be the perfect, and only one in the world... :)

Re:

Thats food for thought. I want to keep it simple though, too big a job and it might be outside of my capabilities. For now i will just keep it simple and see how i get one. I will see how the graphics look when its finished but they arent too bad. Gonna put in Fresh oil though

I don't know the UK prices, but if You plan to repair the fork (new oil, seals, valves, maybe), then the polish, repaint, and make new stickers are no too expensive.
50 Pounds all in Hungary, roughly.

And a Zasqua Z2 Superfly fork...priceless. :D

You could bead blast the corroded parts to get a good finish for painting.
They have pretty hardcore thread-lock on those bolts so heat it with something First, like a hair dryer.
Is only one bolt left in? Can you turn the brace to try and loosen it? I can't remember the design of them.

Latest posts

Back