Widerness Trail Bikes / Specialized

suburbanreuben

Old School Grand Master
Just browsing WTB and came upon their blog,
http://www.wtb.com/blogs/wtb/13328109-t ... enix-frame

Under this pic,

Frame_built_RESIZED_with_Suspension_Large.jpg
the caption refersto the tyres and saddle being designed by WTB and "Correct, we still haven't forgotten"...
I think I can guess what happened, but can anyone confirm the details?

I don't know the details, but Halaburt will. That particular Phoenix is mint, even with the crossed chain.

Re:

Loving the pink one :cool:

As per Specialized's M.O., they "borrowed" the design and stiffed the designers re: compensation. Surprised no one at WTB didn't get sued for saying they designed it.

Re:

Disappointing to hear that, but not surprising.
Those Prolong saddles actually featured the WTB logo! ..one of the best saddle designs ever imho

suburbanreuben":2t8xhe9u said:
the caption refersto the tyres and saddle being designed by WTB and "Correct, we still haven't forgotten"...
I think I can guess what happened, but can anyone confirm the details?
Not sure exactly what they're getting at with the "we still haven't forgotten" part. Specialized MTB tires were, for the most part, designed by WTB from the mid-80's to the mid-90's. That deal ended -- relatively amicably I think -- when WTB began producing their own tires. Saddles had a similar history. WTB had a long and successful record of licensing designs (and/or producing co-branded products) to other companies: Suntour, Chris King, Blackburn, Finish Line to name just a few.

I would judge the fact that the Specialized/WTB relationship ended reasonably well based on the fact that the two key WTB founders (both long departed but integral in the era in question) are skill very close/friendly with Specialized.

Latest posts

Back