1992 Jamis Diablo finished!

Gaddmeister

Retrobike Rider
Just bought an early, guessing 1992, Jamis frame from the bay, looking a lot like a Diablo, but decals missing. Seller states that seatpost won't go down more than 2 inches as he thinks there is a snapped off seatpost in there. Bit of a gamble, but must be someway of removing that bit of post? Acid? Any ideas?

Attachments

• NewImage_750_422_90(28).jpg
    NewImage_750_422_90(28).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 692
  • NewImage_750_422_90(25).jpg
    NewImage_750_422_90(25).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 692
  • NewImage_750_422_90(24).jpg
    NewImage_750_422_90(24).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 692
  • NewImage_750_422_90(23).jpg
    NewImage_750_422_90(23).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 692
Re:

Hi,

Have you tried a penetrating oil? If so then something a little more drastic may be in order!

If you don't want to go through the process of using a torch as it is messy and you will need a complete repaint... you can always cut it out with a hacksaw blade. This is a job you can't rush, so go easy. Keep the blade vertical and go slowly as not to damage the inside of the frame... you will need to make two or three complete cuts all the way down the posts length, so check how far the post is in the frame.

Good luck, go easy, watch your fingers!!

al.

Re: Early 90's Jamis

If it is snapped off further down inside the seat tube you may be reduced to using sodium hydroxide (caustic soda). You'll have to be very careful though if you're not intending to repaint the frame.

There's loads of advice on here about doing it if you search. In my experience of it I found it quite fun.

Re:

Arriving today, so will assess when it comes. I like a good challenge! My last one took me a week to get out with a lot of penetrating oil and brute force lol!

Re:

Well its arrived and looks like a caustic soda jobby! About an inch of post stuck 2 inches down the tube! Some slight distortion of the tube where someone has tried to prize it out!

Re: Early 90's Jamis

In that case, my approach would be to seal the bottom of the seat tube as best you can at the bottom bracket (I used an old innertube) put a couple of steel bolts in the bottle cage holes and slowly and carefully fill the seat seat with a strong sodium hydroxide mix, then gradually top it up every so often until it stops reacting.

Then carefully pour out the mixture into a bucket and dilute it before disposing of it. After that, you just need to give the seat tube a good clean out to get rid of any residue.

My original attempt is documented here if that helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dYnSVVDxrE

Re:

Thank you! I've been watching you youtube video already. Kids are all looking forward to watching from a distance! Lol. Cringed when you shook the bottle!lol. Only shame is that when someone has attempted to get it out in the past has obviously hammered a screwdriver down the tube and the tube is slightly bulging/dented from inside out, only noticeable by feel, don't know if repairable or am I just being fussy? lol

Re:

Ok its done! Took me three goes with the caustic soda. I don't think the solution was strong enough the first couple of times, but the third time it disintegrated the rest of the post in 15 minutes! lol. Its taken some of the paint but is going to the powder coaters soon. Waiting for some proofs from Gil for the decals first, then measure where they go. Will post some pickies when I get a chance to reduce their size! lol

Back