Brake pad options for suntour holey roller cams (cb6000)

futuristicoldman

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Are there any aftermarket pad options for sun tour holey roller cam brakes? The supplied threaded versions seem smaller than anything else that I own. Any ideas?
Ta

Re:

Wow, a post that absolutely nobody read, that must be a first :D I am still wondering what will fit as the 25 year old pads are terrifying. The pad studs thread into the carrier piece so are slightly oversized and nothing else I have tried will clamp up tightly, please help me somebody.

futuristicoldman":1dz2j01f said:
Are there any aftermarket pad options for sun tour holey roller cam brakes? The supplied threaded versions seem smaller than anything else that I own. Any ideas?
Ta

I hadn't got to this problem yet as mine are a long way from being fitted to a bike, but I too look forward to the replies rolling in for you (us) :D

Re:

I'll try and remember to have a look at the set I have, but I think I used U-brake pads, just some generic brand pads.

Re:

The original black 3-pip blocks (which were pretty terrible rubber) had unique M8 fine threaded posts.
These will be very hard to replace....probably only by buying a full NOS set of brakes :shock:
Thankfully, later rollercam models used standard posts :D

Since my original blocks wore out long ago (Late May 1986 probably ;) ), I run standard 7mm diameter plain canti post shoes in their place:

Just loosen off the clamp bolt, screw the original shoes out and slide the new shoes in through the internal diameter of the thread.
Make sure that they're aluminium posts, though, otherwise the original female threads will be badly damaged.
In/out adjustment can be a bit notchy, but once they're tightened up, they're going nowhere.

Alternatively, you could cut open one end of the Suntour shoe and slide in a new pad. However, I've had a look and all my new model pads are a bit small (both width and length) to fit the shoe properly, so best not....

All the best,

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 393
Back