Any Bontrager experts?

rutteger

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Dyna-Tech Fan
Currently looking at a Bonty Race, couple of qs for those knowledgebale in things Bontrager.

1. How do I verify it's a 'pre-Trek' Race ?
2. The Bonty Judy crowns came in black only with a reduced offset, correct?
3. How does the bike ride with a regular Judy crown? What about with a longer travel (80mm) fork ?

Bonty Q's

1. A good indicator of a Santa Cruz (pre Trek) built frameset is the wishbone seatstays being built in 2 pieces , the change being just below the canti bosses. Although may friend Chris would disagree. I geuss someone could work it out from the frame No's

2. Yes, that is correct. Reduced by 1/2 a degree I think.
Might be able to help if your really keen.

3. After upgrading from MAG 21s , and then JUDY's both with special crown I have been using PACE forks (which I think may mimic the setup anyhow). Frankly the actual performance of the for has a greater bearing on the bikes handling than than the special geometry. This was most noticable when I put rigid RC30s for the winter time. Have run up to 90mm (lots of sag), currently on 70mm (some sag)

Enjoy!

Cheers for the response. Mind if I send you some pictures of one I'm looking at, see if you can identify whether it's pre or post Trek?

Was there not an overlap when Bontrager continued building at SC when owebed by Trek?

Are you able to tell when it was built from the frame nos ?

yeah send me a pic! not sure I'm any kinda of 'antique roadshow' style expert tho' but have been riding them for 1O years now!

Style of decals & presence of a roller for the front mech would date it to early 90s...

I got to meet Keith at the 3 Peaks cyclo cross race and was quite tempted to ask him about the seatstay thing as its been a very long running 'debate' between myself my mate Chris...anyhow I didn't as 'd already said enough...and he'd kindly signed my frame and a photo for Chris

frame nos: I couldn't but I'm sure it would be possible.

The big question is tho' Bontrager or FAT which is the finest?

Sent you a few pics to cast a Hugh Scully-esque eye over.

tangent":2a2xymw2 said:
The big question is tho' Bontrager or FAT which is the finest?

Now you're talking.

Did you beat Mr Bontrager roound the Peaks? I vaguely remeber some ads that ran in MBA back in the day, he had a frame slung over his shoulder and had some old footy shirt on (Liverpool I think). Anyone else remeber those? Or did I make it up?

FAT or bonty? pretty easy, just look at the dropouts.. not even a mothers love could admire a bonty dropout ;D

but then I am massively FAT biased ;)

...& no u didnt dream that ad. It was in load of the old MBAs, pretty certain it read "friends dont let friends ride neon" :)

scant":1bhyie4l said:
...& no u didnt dream that ad. It was in load of the old MBAs, pretty certain it read "friends dont let friends ride neon" :)

Wasn't there another framebuilder in the ad? Greg Fuquay maybe?

just back from night ride on Bonty, (only ride it at night now so now one can see the dropouts...).

Have seen those pics now, and I'm leaning towards Trek era, just because the colourways of the decals seem a little too colourful, but that's very speculative! See if its got gussets on the seatube?
Anyhow at least it came with some thumbshifters, and it is afterall a bontrager.

Scant, only image I can remember of Greg Fuquay he was wearing some gruseomely bright tye-dye top so I think he may not have listened to KB advice on fabrics

nope only K.B & R.S in the ad (checked last nite) each had a frame hung over their shoulder. both used the same importer, hence the joint ad.

fuquay was probs more famous on UK shores than US?

personally I love neon, FAT grellow, various klein sprays.. lush :D

Back