Kona velocity stem size help.

Rallymad

Retro Newbie
Help needed, I've got a 93 kona cinder cone I've measured the stem and internal fork diameter with a pair of measuring calipers they both measure 1". I've just brought what I thought was a 1" velocity stem on eBay but it's got a smaller diameter than mine it's 0.8" 22.2mm. I thought they only did 1" and 1 1/8", so my questions are did they make velocity stems in smaller than 1" or mine is 1 1/8" but only measure's 1" I'm really confused at the moment

Cheers
Stu

If you have a 1" fork, it means the outside diameter of the fork is 1", so if you've measured the inside of your fork and got 1" I'd say you have a 1 1/8" fork. The measurement 1 1/8" is the outside diameter, and it's therefore 1" on the inside.

A 1 1/8" quill stem is stamped 25.4 because the outside diameter of the quill is 1" to fit INSIDE of a 1 1/8" fork.

Does that help? I've been tripped up by this myself recently.

Re:

Thanks for your reply, it all make sense now I've been measuring it wrong I'll put it down to experience I suppose.

Thanks again
Stu

Necroing this thread for a relevant question; did the Velocity stem come in different lengths? Everyone of them that I've seen here and on Ebay have been 12.5 cm CC, but the one on my 1996 Kula seem to be at least 2 cm longer. Are there different models or did I just mess up the measuring?

ThomasElliott":3pmwz1vt said:
Necroing this thread for a relevant question; did the Velocity stem come in different lengths? Everyone of them that I've seen here and on Ebay have been 12.5 cm CC, but the one on my 1996 Kula seem to be at least 2 cm longer. Are there different models or did I just mess up the measuring?

Various length from around 90-150mm

Back