AMP Research research

Swede

Gold Trader
Funk Fan
Feedback
View
I’d not seen one of these in the flesh until Icon-O-Classic but there’s something about them that’s caught my imagination. There’s not much on MOMBAT and I’ve read quite a few of the threads on the forum but I’d like to know more. Are their any AMP gurus out there?

Is there a chronology of the frames, forks, brakes/hubs somewhere?
What would you consider is the best frame fork combination?
What sort of budget should I think about?
Say I found a bike but it needed some TLC what are the options for parts now that AMP no longer provides a service facility? I’m guessing it’s a question of trawling eBay and a bit of DYI (with your help obviously…).
When did they start using disc brakes?
What year was the Mercedes version available? Presumably there’s a non-Merc B4?
What needs to be done (if anything) in order to mix White Industries hubs and D1 callipers or would I need to go Rockshox or adapters?

I’m sure they’ll be more questions as this goes one!

A number of manufacturs used the amp back end on there own frames to create a full suspension line such as fat, dekerf, mongoose and litespeed (I'm sure there are more).

As you'd guess, frame chronology runs in number sequence and ended with the b5 (not sure if there was a b1).

Depending on how amp specific you want to end up, you could go for a b5 as that will at least give you modern shock options.

All frames use the same type of bushing and linkage and while amp may no longer support spares, plant of knowledgeable souls on here regarding options to keep you rolling.

Brake and hub wise, I'm no expert but have been harbouring plans to build up a litespeed variant using rock shox brakes and white industries/rock shox hubs but may never get around to it (though I think the end result would look awesome).

You can get brake adapters to allow you to use alternative brakes but whether you want an all out amp or just the frame will define that option for you.

Anything else? Fork wise you can get the early steel legged versions (f2 I think), alloy or carbon legged f3 xc or the later dual damped and sprung f4 blt.

Not sure if this helps or not, but having had a few b3s, a mongoose amplifier (a re badged b2) and currently have a b5 and a litespeed b3 awaiting building, thought I'd share what little I know.

Re:

I hadn't considered a "Frankenbike" but that opens up a whole load of different possibilities.... Got me going off on a tangent now! A Litespeed/AMP would indeed look awesome; what’s stopping you?

Early disc brake systems have a certain allure and if I can combine them with some WI stuff then that’s great as I have a bit of a “thing” for White Industries.

Is the carbon rear triangle from the B5 or was it available for the B4 as well?

I'm not aware of a carbon rear triangle, I was referring to the forks but it's certainly not impossible. What's stopping me? Time, and many bikes and no space.

Steel legged forks were F1, Alloy legged with circlips on the linkages was F2. F3 had bolted linkages, with carbon or alloy legs, and the F4 had twin shocks, and a long travel option (?)

The Merc frame was a B5 with carbon stays.

Re:

F1 & 2's had a falling rate for the spring and co-worker and alloy legs respectively. F3's had a rising rate and either carbon or alloy legs. F4's were longer travel and had either carbon or alloy legs.

That Mercedes-Benz bike was a B4 with a modified seat tower. When they changed the design of the stays, not sure the exact year, but there were various options for the tubes, I've seen plain alloy, anodized alloy and carbon.

Is the carbon rear triangle from the B5 or was it available for the B4 as well?
I don't recall a B5 carbon rear, but here's the carbon version of the later aluminium B4 back end..the one with the bonded crown and dropouts, rather than the earlier welded one. I got mine via a Merc B4 including carbon kickstand :shock:, but it's been de-badged to go on a B4 with a carbon F3 fork too.

I'll own up to 1x B3, 2x B4, 1x Merc B4 and an Italian Extralite B5 copy....+ 2 alu F3 forks, 2x carbon F3 forks and one F4 BLT :facepalm:

Having ridden B3 and B4, I'd go for a B4 with an F3 fork. It looks great, seriously light and gives just enough travel to take the buzz off trails. Don't get it confused with a serious downhill bike, though. XC only. I'd love a (twin downtube) B2 with an F3 fork, but they don't come up very often...any offers?

-There's nothing too weird to stop you running modern gear except the pre-ISO2000 disc brake mounting.
-Adapters are available for running modern ISO or postmount discs, but the AMP/RockShox discs are (just about) OK if you want to run all original.
-Some frames and forks came with canti mounts (either welded or clamp-on) so you can run rim brakes if you want.
-Try to get a Risse air shock (Genesis?) if you can, The AMP coil over shock isn't great, and Kevin at Risse will still service them.

Plenty of love here for AMP...

All the best,

Attachments

• P1203526.JPG
    P1203526.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 4,775
Heads Up:

There's a nice late B4, red & black, with a Risse shock and rear brake on eBay Germany at the moment:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... mp;alt=web
Looks like a small front with a medium seat mast, so ideal for 5'6" to 5' 9 :LOL: " ish...

All the best,

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back