Help w/ Topline Spindles: 1992 Klein Attitude

75Denver

Dirt Disciple
So I just bought some Topline Cranks (thanks Paulwheels!) and thought they'd work. The bike came with Cooks but the non-drive arm was cracked at the square taper. Long story short, I've yet to find a replacement and the Toplines look SOOOOO nice!!!

The current spindle length is 130/29mm. I installed the Toplines thinking they should work because somewhere (can't find it now) I read they use a 125 or 126/25mm. Can anyone shed some light on what's going on? Here are my questions:

1. How far should the spindle sink into the taper?
2. Spindle is currently about 1/2-2/3 of the way into the square taper…is this dangerous to ride on and will it cause serious damage to the cranks if so?
3. Does anyone know the recommended spindle length if this is wrong?
4. Dumb question…what's the second measurement referring to on the spindle specs? (29 vs 25mm)

Thank you in advance! Here's some pics to see what I'm working with. I'll try and get a shot looking into the taper.

Attachments

• IMG_5177.jpg
    IMG_5177.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_5175.JPG
    IMG_5175.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 962
  • IMG_5174.JPG
    IMG_5174.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 963
The Bikepro website says that Topline mtb cranks should have a 127.5mm spindle length "in some applications." I don't know exactly what that last part means, but I've found their info to be accurate several times over.

With these the axle length is more to do with the cranks being able to clear the frame at the pedal end. Yours are the later cranks with the flat rear, the earlier ones stuck out far more.

Have you a picture of how far the axle goes into the cranks?

They look really good in that frame!

Re:

Thanks! I LOVE the color with the Sea&Sky!! Here's what they look like from inside.

Attachments

• IMG_5192.jpg
    IMG_5192.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 919
  • IMG_5191.jpg
    IMG_5191.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 919
If you find they won't go on further, I'm not sure why they won't, and you sell them please let me know as they'd be great for my Fat Chance. I have some blue Cook Bros E cranks which would suit your bike.

I've just been through my crank collection and the Topline one does seem to go on the axle not as far than any of the others. Perhaps this is why people over tighten them and crack them as they don't appear to be on far enough.

Becareful!

According to the Klein Tech Manual the spindle needs a length of no less than 125mm for a Top Line crankset.
http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge ... uals96.pdf

The crucial question is the torque involved and not the distance. However, I cannot tell you the maximum torque for your crankset. I would be carefull as topline cranks are made from Aluminium and they tend to crack. I would go with no more than 25-30 NM. I advise to use steel screws for Installation. Afterwards, you can replace them with aluminium or Ti ones.

The second number in the Klein Tech Manual (here 25mm) has something to do with the distance. However, I cannot tell you at the moment, which distance to measure. :(

Re:

image.jpg

Back