Syncros seatposts

troje

Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
With some excess time this weekend in the post festive season, I thought it is a good idea to start a documentation thread on the various Syncros seatposts that exist. By no means I'm a Syncros expert but I own quite a few of them, so I've lined them up to point out the key differences between the various generations of this seatpost. Any additions, discrepancies or mistakes, let me know!

Lined up, 11 versions of the Syncros seatpost in different materials, lengths, diameters and generations:
P1020029.JPG

Important to know is that Syncros issued different generations of their seatpost, where generally, the first four generations are the ones we tend to put on our retro mountainbikes. All seatposts come with the same unique clamping mechanism that evolved over the different generations.

From left to right generation one till four:
P1020037.JPG

First generation
The first generation was sold up until 1991 and had the Syncros logo as a sticker attached to the top rear part of the seatpost. The exact diameter is not stamped on the seatpost, but a single digit indicating the first number after the decimal was stamped on the top backside of the post.

P1020032.JPG

Sticker logo at the top back of the post:
P1020034.JPG

Second generation
In 1992, Syncros issued their second version with an some improvements. The overall clamping mechanism stayed the same but it was downsized: The allen bolts were reduced from 6mm to 5mm and the clamping mechanism, including the half circle shaped lower part of the clamp was reduced in size. A hole was added on the 2nd generation to make it possible to attach your expensive seatpost to a cable lock. The Syncros logo sticker was replaced by the wording Syncros, in anodized horizontal letters at the back of the seatpost. The diameter and length were stamped at the bottom end of the seatpost.

First Generation left, second generation right:
P1020044.JPG

P1020043.JPG

Smaller clamp mechanism on 2nd generation:
P1020049.JPG

Hole added on the second generation:
P1020046.JPG

Syncros letters horizontal at the back of the seatpost:
P1020035.JPG

Third generation
In 1994, Syncros made a major change with a much improved clamping mechanism. Where the 2nd generation clamp was a bit too light and prone to cracks due to over tightening, the clamp construction on the 3rd generation was a lot more robust. The Syncros logo moved from the backside to both left and right, still with the letters anodized in horizontal direction. On the titanium version the hole disappeared again. The hole remained on the alloy version though. I have different versions of this seatpost and somewhere along production, Syncros started to stamp a four or five digit number on their seatposts. No clue if this is a serial number.

Second (left) and third (right) generations:
P1020054.JPG

New clamp mechanism:
P1020051.JPG

Fourth generation
Somewhere between 1997 and 1999, Syncros introduced the fourth generation of their seatpost. you can identify these by the change of the logo, where the new version now has the logo anodized in a vertical direction instead of horizontal. As an addition to the 7075T78 aluminium and 3AL2.5V Titanium versions, Syncros introduced a lower grade 6061T6 Aluminium seatpost in silver colour. This new seatpost has an ellipse shaped inner butting.

Same clamping mechanism
P1020041.JPG

Ellipse shaped inner butting on 6061T6 version
P1020040.JPG

There is an earlier generation. It looks like the first generation but the top piece isn't beveled.

Re:

3 version of that 1st gen top plate iirc.

I thought the 6061 budget version was also used as the OEM post much earlier.

I have the 10th Anniv Ti if you need a picture, same as the others though.

Ti Propost didn't come till 1993 model, displacing the Alu Propost to be the now Gorilla/Hardcore post iirc.

Re:

WOW....,nice collection of my favorite seat posts :D

I bought this 26.8 back in 1990, its seen a lot of action and is very slightly bent. but still in use.
The blue anodizing was done in 93.

My one seems to be inbetween yours and the one in the image posted by fluffychicken

excuse the offending tioga post.

yeti fro by redfern1950s, on Flickr

Thanks for the input guys!

So if I understand it correct, there was an earlier Syncros seatpost, before the first generation in my list. But no pictures I can find online, it would be great to get one.

Then, the first generation was issued with at least four different top plates:
1. the one in FC's posting, but without hole
2. the one in FC's posting with the massive unshaped top cap
3. the one in redfern1950s posting: slightly shaped top cap
4. the one in my opening posting and darreni's posting: final shape of 1st generation seatpost top cap

Re:

No,no earlier version. Just different top plates.
The one with no hole may not exist, I just knew there where three and there are three posted up.
The holeless one is probably something dreamt up or another manufacturers post.

Well no earlier than thought of, good chance it may have been IRD since that's the bases of the design (now kalloy if they still have all the patents).

I have no idea what the first or protos may have been like, heck they've been making stuff since '86.

Given most we know is 90s stuff the 4years before that is quite hazy, what stem shere they making in 86. Which is what they started with, are there the standaed rocky mountain parts of the time just with no branding?

Back