show us your modern-retro crossover bikes

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Show us your modern-retro crossover bikes - if there are any out there!

The motive behind this thread is entirely selfish :twisted: I'm keen to see how others have adapted to changing times, to get ideas about what my next work-horse mountain bike will be. Full modern bikes leave me cold - I have tried a couple of expensive ones and it just felt all wrong (too much suspension, sitting nearly upright, on/off brakes, etc.) - so I'm thinking about combining what I like about retro, and what I think I would like about modern.

What I think I'd like is a steel 29er with discs, moderate travel suspension (mayb rigid instead), and something as close to the classic head-down 90s riding position as modern stuff, and my aged body, can do.

Do you have a modern frame with retro parts? Or perhaps you have a retro frame with modern parts? Or something else?

Most of my builds fit this category. My team rts is kitted out with m952, fox forx and crossmax wheels. My sts is wearing m970, fox forx and spinergy wheels. My DBR Axis TT has a very similar build to the RTS, but Paul V brakes handle the stopping. My Dynatech Torus is again similar but avid ultimates carry out the braking duties and rigid pace forks point it where it needs to go. If I ever get round to them, other projects will follow in similar directions, aside from perhaps the pace.

My pipedream is a modern skinny steel frame with modernish bits fitted.

Links in my sig if you fancy a gander.

Re:

Mountain (old frame modern kit):
36d06f2fb093c5528721e7c1333bcf59_zps2d5c1df1.jpg

Road:
c8f62aeaceb844a5940056337e54a832_zpsf4c00fb9.jpg

My two relatively new (~2013-ish) main rides. Mountain and road:

15806072551_b3dee52962_b.jpg

15304273152_f045b5cc26_b.jpg

Assuming you're talking MTB... and looking for something a little bit more in the "obtainable" category :p I'd suggest looking at something from one of the small one-man Northern California builders who work in steel and make fantastic bikes. Soulcraft (Sean Walling), Sycip (Jeremy), Retrotec/Inglis (Curtis) come immediately to mind. Steve Rex, (Rick) Hunter, and (Cameron) Falconer would also be strong choices. They all cut their teeth in the 80's and/or 90's NorCal scene here and you'd be getting something really special at a fair (US$1500-2000 frame) price. You could always splurge for Titanium and go with Steve Potts.

In particular, Sean Walling's "Tradesman" bike is a fantastic deal (and ride): http://www.soulcraftbikes.com/frames.php?frame_id=10

Re:

mix of oldish frame/fork and newer components.

Attachments

• Dean Ti 003.JPG
    Dean Ti 003.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,426
  • Dean Ti 001.JPG
    Dean Ti 001.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,426
Re:

This is my main rider. I was running it 1x10 with some 100mm Rebas through the summer but swapped the forks out/went ss for the muddy winter conditions.

Re:

Retromod for me , 97 Kona with modern parts fitted , 100mm Fox, Sram 2X9 gearing , discs and tubeless wheels with modern tyres .

Attachments

• sutton bank.jpg
    sutton bank.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 2,382
Re:

Modern frame with retro bits....just to be annoying/different...

Attachments

• Blue Meanie 10 nov 2014.jpg
    Blue Meanie 10 nov 2014.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 2,376
Re:

Classic (legendary?) frame, with some modern parts, but not too much.
If you use the bike like a modern one, it's better sometimes to have modern parts.
But you can keep the vintage look !

Attachments

• raven.jpg
    raven.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 2,363

Latest posts

Back