Show us your (Marin) Boingers!

doctorstewie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Evening all: I've seen threads on many bikes I have an interest in, but not a boingy Marin thread. I was a bit puzzled as to which forum to put it in, but in that Marin started doing boingy things around 94/95ish and that my own Rift Zone is a 97 I decided to put it here ( Mods please feel free to move it if you so decide)

I've loved Marins full sussers since I got my first one in Nov 96. A Rift Zone. The one in my pics isn't that one and I am still deciding whether to go full retro on it and restore it to it's original spec ( or at least the spec I had changed it to by 99.

But then, there are the Nail FRS bikes, the chromo framed bike with a Manitou rear triangle ( I've got an MBUK review around here somewhere) and of course all the lovely single pivot bikes that came along after 97.

Here's Mine to kick things off - sorry for the repeat photos from the readers bikes thread:
IMAG0325_zpswmspfdxj.jpg

IMAG0324_zps6im8xzqm.jpg

IMAG0323_zpsp5fup8rv.jpg

I rode it all over Afan last week and although it needs some fettling it's all basic stuff: Slightly longer stem ( I want to find a Planet X Meteor 80mm in red ) shorten the cable outers, that sort of thing. It's got SPDs on now but a set of DX ones would be spiffy.
The ride is just fantastic.

So what boingy Marin have you got?

Re:

Sadly I don't have one, but a good friend does! and I have seen, and still do see a fair number of them out and about, I always liked their relative simplicity :)

I have a 98 FRS XC with a sickly shock and BB. Will get a pic up at some point.

Heres one I regret selling - I think I've had at least 5 so far.

file.php

Re:

2a5k4dx.jpg

6548kw.jpg

And the latest acquisition that's just been bought this week.this is on test for its longer travel, and then I'll strip and rebuild it using air shock, and fresher XT group, possibly the brand new stuff. The desire to have some more travel and some modern discs for the winter conditions has brought me to the B-17. They are essentially the same frame as the Mount Vision, but use a longer shock mounted slightly further forward, along with a beefed up swingarm, which allows 5.5 inches of travel. I'm predicting a 25lb bike when it's built, which is good for such a long travel capable machine.

300b97o.jpg

Re:

Great idea for a thread, they look like a full susser should. Always wanted one BITD but the payments on my LTS oh and a mortgage got in the way. :(

I remember they were the right FS to get for a Polaris etc, 'though I think Marin lost the plot later with the square tubed frames with over a meter of welding IMHO.

Keep the pics coming peeps I'm feeling a project coming on. :roll:

Mine :D
Cant take credit, found it as pictured in cash converters :oops:
The only things different from the brochure spec list, are the saddle which it came with and the pedals i swopped over from the VP108's,which i still have.

Attachments

• Marin Quake 9 Out & About 002 (Custom).JPG
    Marin Quake 9 Out & About 002 (Custom).JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 4,512
dyna-ti":253r7h0n said:
Mine :D
Cant take credit, found it as pictured in cash converters :oops:
The only things different from the brochure spec list, are the saddle which it came with and the pedals i swopped over from the VP108's,which i still have.

Love that...had one myself a few years back!

Re:

DSC_0033_zps344521df.jpg

Now belongs to junior, but loved and maintained by its original owner. ;)

DSC_0034_zps3f0e49b3.jpg

De-badged, de-lacquered and polished up.

DSC_0036_zps04c03aa9.jpg

Now running with a Fox air can for added plush-ness.

doctorstewie":1cw18ia7 said:
Lovely stuff here folks. Daz: how did you de laquer that? ( Mount Vision?)
Wire wool buddy ..start with coarse, working down to fine ..and shed loads of elbow grease

It was covered in lacquer white worm so had to come off, looks much better. Not been polished now for yonks and its not effected it in any way, still looks clean. Do it!

Back