Early XTR M900 brakes - straddle length for front and rear?

vshuvalov

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
There is the old thread which states that A/73 straddles should be used for M900 brakes. But early (1992-1994) version had different arm lengths for F and R brakes (F is longer), it it possible that both use short A type straddles? Or I should switch to longer (B/82 or D/93) straddle on the front?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Re:

I’ve used type A on both front and rear, but the clearance was a bit tight on the rear, albeit with a 2.4 tyre. A longer one on the rear would’ve equalised the clearance.

Re:

I'm sure there are many people on here with a few sets of these mounted - I have a couple but I'm not sure if they are the early versions - I'll take a look tonight and see what they are :)

Shimano tech manual states A73 for M900 front and rear, but on OG M900 canti kits or OEM they weren't specced as A73. I haven't got mine on hand to verify but I'm sure someone can measure an OG set to prove it.

Cheers!
It's the first set of cantis I'm mounting since I switched to Vs in 1996. Looking for as little fettle as possible as I remember much cursing.

Re:

Just checked what I could see on my two sets;
KHS = A/73 on front, B/82 on rear
Merlin = A/73 on front, couldn’t get to it (bike is hanging high on the wall)
Hope that helps :)

Re:

Believe it was ‘A’ on the front and ‘B’ on the rear as above. Unless you’re using a suspension brake hanger like a Rockshox in which case you’ll want two sets of ‘B’s to maintain the 90 degrees.

Latest posts

Back