Faux, Fake, Cosmetic Tioga Discdrive Prototype.

Brewza

Old School Hero
I've come to the conclusion I'll probably never own a legit one so I thought I'd give a fake one a shot.
I've never seen a real wheel in the flesh, so mine is based on as many pics as I could get my hands on.

The base of the covers is ABS plastic followed by:
-mesh fibreglass tape melted into place with acetone
-leather rivets
-string (dyed yellow)
-wrapped/ woven in a pretty half-arsed manner :?
-rivets hammered flat
-covered in adhesive plastic film (heated and moulded with an old paint roller)
-edge tidied up with electrical tape
-attached to wheel using 32 cable ties
-stickers supplied by Gil to fool the newbies out there ;)

It's not perfect and pretty hard to copy the woven pattern using 32 spokes vs the original but it sounds great and I'm pretty soon it won't fail anytime soon.

Next up will be a modern transparent version.

Sorry for the picture quality.

Re:

Thanks mate. I really need the newer transparent version for my current build but this will do for now.

Re: Homemade Tioga Discdrive Prototype. Pic heavy

Brewza":284rt5rk said:
It's not perfect and pretty hard to copy the woven pattern using 32 spokes vs the original but it sounds great and I'm pretty soon it won't fail anytime soon.

do you intend on riding this wheel? I've had a few disk drives & even with there conventional build they werent very strong. cosmetically you havent done a bad job, but I'd be extremely wary of actually riding it.

Re:

It does have the original wheel beneath the cover, so I'm just as confident with these wheels as I am with a normal wheel.
The covers are cable tied to the spokes and I would trust these over the original to be honest.

These are purely cosmetic except or the fantastic audio effect created.

Re:

Flippin great! Get 'er rid, test it to destruction, make some more, get yer own name on 'em, sell 'em etc etc...good job!

:xmas-cool:

Re:

That looks pretty cool, I'm glad you left the original spooked wheel underneath those covers though! Wasn't the original made with Kevlar cord? That probably contributed a lot to the strength.
For a homemade disc drive that looks great though.

Back