RC200 Singlespeed project - FINISHED PHOTOS

tch911

Dirt Disciple
About two years ago I bit the bullet on a childhood dream and acquired my Pace. Not the cheapest way into ownership as the frame was originally NOS and built into a retro-mod with all of the very latest XTR etc, brand new top end kit.

I've now shed most of the blingy bits on the 'bay and I am left with the core chassis. The frame is still fabulous with not a single scratch on its lovely (and I believe quite rare?) gunmetal finish.

I've managed to aqcuire an almost brand new set of the RC-31 3.25 C-Type Carbon Titanium forks for the initial build. The RC35 Pro-Class that came with the bike are stunning with very little wear on the Ti-Nitride but they definitely need servicing as they are a bit sticky in their operation, any tips on who to use?

I've just emailed through to Gil to try and aquire some rear entry dropouts, fingers crossed he has some made up. Would have loved to have gone down the disc route but as my frame has one disc mount on the frame and one on the dropout, Gil's discmount dropout wont work.

Plus, the build I bought came with the most gorgeous set of unused Limited edition Hope hub handbuilt wheels. They are definitely staying.

I also kept back a set of brand new (modern) Magura HS33 with the flippable handlebar mounts in gunmetal. Do I treat them as a modern homage to the originals and keep them on the build? Do I try and source a set of original HS33 Racelines in mint condition? Do I find a pair of gorgeous calipers and team them with some PAULS love levers?

Annoyingly I got rid of the Thomson seatpin without checking the width, does anyone know what width post this frame shoult run?

Many thanks for any input, creative or otherwise that anyone might have. Let the fun begin!

Tom
R0010454_zpsed9dce7c.jpg
[/url][/img]
R0010458_zps7fbe1cce.jpg
[/url][/img]

Re:

The RC31 type c's give a lovely ride on my Vit T. I love my set.

Best bet for RC36 servicing is Tim (justbackdated) on here. PM him. He's ex-pace. He services and has parts for nearly all their forks.

Pace seatpost size is 29.4mm. (Edited)

Welcome to retro bike.

Re: RC200 Retro mod to singlespeed project

Thanks guys. Now I just need to choose my contact points. With the Carbon cranks there is a temptation to do go down that route but then if I found a Pace stem in the right length then I probably want something retro...

Re:

It has often been said that the best projects take many years. The owner of my LBS says that the best projects are never finished!

Gil_M has now sent me some of his rear entry dropouts which I have tried in place, they fit a treat. I have literally today ordered some nice RACE FACE nickel plated chainring bolts with which to properaly attach them to the dropouts of the frame.

Chainrings are all off and the cranks and main outer ring, a 44 tooth have been cleaned to within an inch of its life. Again some nice black RACE FACE chainring bolts and RACE FACE's chainring tab shims have been ordered as well.

As I originally mentioned the plan is to fit a singlespeed setup using the HOPE freehub as I love the clicky pawls and just cannot bear to sell such an amazing wheelset. I have been recommended to go to Velosolo, anyone else got any tips?

I ordered a Thomson seat pin for the build only to then find that there was already a USE shim installed so I could have bought something carbon after all! Anyway, the shim is out, the seatpin is in.

Some pictures to come within the next few days!

Re: RC200 Retro mod to singlespeed project

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing the pictures :) .

Re:

Whilst I am still waiting for the nice gunmetal grey bolts to arrivem, I couldn't resist mocking the frame up with Gil_m's very fine horizontal dropouts. Stunning and very OEM look.

Attachments

• IMG_4288.JPG
    IMG_4288.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,093
Re:

Have decided that it would be a sacrilege to get rid of these gorgeous carbon SL-K cranks, installed with their crank specific BB

Attachments

• IMG_4290.JPG
    IMG_4290.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,091
Re:

SL-K chain ring ready to fit along with a new set of Race Face alloy chainring bolts and a set of the brilliant Race Face blanking plates for the back of the cranks to leave a nice clean finish.

Attachments

• IMG_4319.JPG
    IMG_4319.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 1,087
Back