GT RTS - what's the ride like?

jimwah

Old School Hero
I've owned and ridden a handful of GT hard tails and full sus bikes over the years, including 3 Zaskars, and a LTS 1000DS - but I'm interested to find people's opinion on the RTS.

I've always loved the look of the RTS design, and I think I'm really quite sold on the idea of getting one, but how do they ride? Is it fair to say they are less 'active' than the LTS design? I'd also expect it to feel a little more nimble with the shock weight sat so low, is this the case?

Any input appreciated - cheers!

I've owned a few and won't part with my team, and love them. I'm no expert rider but I think they are really nice to ride, you can varyw how active the rear is by adjusting the shock spring preload, and whilst not amp light, are pretty light. The fact that despite being a rear susser, I love the fact it still looks like a bike.

They are pretty flexible too in terms of what you can throw at them too, whether cantis and short travel retro forks, or more modern forks and v brakes.

My team is full m952 now, with ceramic cross max wheels and Fox forks, but has been kitted out with m970 too and it was happy as Larry in both guises. Not sure I'll ever go back to m900, as the shifting is rubbish imho, but they do look good wearing that too.

Re:

I totally agree with ishaw. I love my RTS-1 (below) and have just acquired two Team RTS frames.

You can easily vary how active the rear is and love the lockout feature of the Rocker suspension.

Its a nimble bike and unlike other full suspension bikes this bike can go cross country(I rode mine on several 60 to 70 milers) and feels at home at the task.

Re:

I've had a RTS for .... Counts up... 16 years. Now has a risse rear shock which has helped with the damping.

Ride = Individual. The strangest part is the high pivot point makes it feel like it's snapping under you when you take a large hit. The chain line / length increases when the travel compresses, so have the suspension too soft and take some large rolling bumps and the pedals will slow down/speed up as and when the suspension compresses. (bio-pace cranks..)

I have mine set up with minimal travel / bob just to take the edge of bumps.

LTS Vs RTS - At 7pm last night I finally built up my LTS-2000DS and my lord does it eclipse the performance of the RTS. Proper suspension which works without you noticing it. Nor do you kick yourself in the arse every time you pedal hard..

Different class/ earer of bikes, but I'd part with the LTS before the RTS.

I love mine, it's as comfy as a full suspension bike should be, but pedals much better than it has any right to, a real all day machine. Something along the lines of 60mm of travel at the back.

Agree with the suspension affecting the pedal speed as it compresses, this is worst in the granny ring, but less noticeable as you use the bigger chainrings.

Great info, thanks everyone - this is kind of in-line with what I expected, somewhere between the nimble mountain-goat Zaskar, and the burlier, plusher LTS :) The LTS was a fantastic bike, which really aged very well, my last one ended up with a new front end (Magura shocks, larger, stiffer hub and new 6 stud front disc) and it always impressed me when the trail got rough.

However, I intend to set up any potential RTS in much the same way as cagiva, with the rear set up just to take the edge off the ride; with a bit of an XC slant on things, straight bars, not much rise in the stem etc. Interesting to know about the chain line behaviour - probably a bit alarming if you weren't expecting it.

I'm looking at a few with later V-brakes and Judy's on them, sounds fine to me - I've got a thing for the 90s Judys. I rode with an Indy C fork for a few years back then, and always wanted a set of Judys! I might be tempted with a later set of SIDs, somewhere down the line, I had a set on my Zaskar and the weight (or lack of) was ridiculous.

Thanks again - Jim

Re:

Hi there,

I have one GT rts-1 for many years.
I really love it but now it needs some TLC.
I am posting on this tread because I think you all know the in- and outside of the rts.

Today I looked for the framenumber and its from Februari 1993 and 18".

Recently I bought another one, just 19" frame, because I really like this bike.
But the second one does not have the rear shock, nor has it a fork.

So I want to ask you what kind of fork do you prefer and why?
(my current GT rts-1 has the Manitou Mach5 because in those days I was not a fan of RockShox)

I know the rear shock is very difficult to find.
What options do I have for mounting another rear shock?

I hope you can help me.

Good luck finding the info you need Jan

Just to update things from me, 2 RTS purchases fell through, i got a bit disheartened and was then offered a deal I couldn't refuse on a modern Trek Fuel Ex 5 29r - 2015 model, 2x10, 120mm RS shocks front and rear, in black with fluoro decals. Not quite what I had in mind, a lot less retro and a bit heavier (for now), but it'll have to do! :p

I am building up a RTS-1 just to answer that question. How good (or bad) does it ride. Especially compared to newer bikes. Like the LTS or my Mantra.

I would like to take the advantage of some RTS owners reading this.
My RTS has, as I think, too much play in the rocker. Please take a look at my short vid: http://videos.mtb-news.de/37221
This is the play pressing the rocker sideways
Am I missing parts here?
Are there any good guides online, how to diassembe/ reassemble this par of the frame?

Thias":hjsx50sl said:
I am building up a RTS-1 just to answer that question. How good (or bad) does it ride. Especially compared to newer bikes. Like the LTS or my Mantra.

I would like to take the advantage of some RTS owners reading this.
My RTS has, as I think, too much play in the rocker. Please take a look at my short vid: http://videos.mtb-news.de/37221
This is the play pressing the rocker sideways
Am I missing parts here?
Are there any good guides online, how to diassembe/ reassemble this par of the frame?

I have the same problem Thias and I found out, it is only the ballbearing at the end of the Noleen shock.
This is a small unibolt and this has little play which causes too much play in the rocker.
At least, this is in my case.

Back