Hi guys thought i would share my cleaning fluid mix

themountie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After many times trying to find a way to get rid of the old grease grime minor surface rust from my bike components the easiest and least effort possible.
Most of the parts i buy are from car boots etc and are caked in the above .
All's need to do is to get a bucket empty 2 cans of Pepsi or coke your choice one scoup of washing powder sqwert of washing up liquid and fill about half way up with hot water give it a whisk and cover with a towel blanket etc leave till morning or about 8 hours or so .
Then fish your parts out and dry off with a towel and u will find when u fish the parts out the grime has either disappeared or can be just wiped off and with a bit of rubbing most lite surface rust will rub off .
your can also leave rubber parts in over nite but not too long .seat posts fork legs chains etc

I put my whole group set in for my klein pulse and it even cleaned up the plastic on the rear mech as well and did not take the decal off.
It will not shift bad rust but will make cleaning the crap off easier.

If anyone else has got somthing that they use please share as this has always worked for me :D

1. quarter of a cup of bleach.
2. quarter of a cup of table vinegar .
3, a good squirt of washing up liquid .

All mixed together with hot water in a bowl or around half a bucket cover with a piece of wood or cloth and leave for around 6 hours or over night , not guaranteed to remove surface rust but normally does a reasonable job of breaking down grease making it easier to wipe off ..

Vinegar or coke can be used on their own actually to break down grease or dirt off the surface of metal parts just like brown sauce or ash out of the fire grate can be used with a damp cloth to clean up chrome although you'll need to wipe over with warm soapy water then dry and buff up after....

Re:

I use an engine degreaser, like GUNK. Either spray it on or work it in with an old paint brush, then rinse with hot water.

Re:

I use the dishwasher at home.

Just make sure your missus doesn't catch you though! :shock:

Re: Re:

jimo746":17ov95c2 said:
I use the dishwasher at home.

Just make sure your missus doesn't catch you though! :shock:

I've put my car side repeaters in the dish washer before now..

I put my parts in this mixture but couldn't last more than a few minutes.

They swelled up something rotten.

Re:

similar to you Adruzz,

Start with white sprit and old tootbrushes, paint brushes. Rinse under hose, then bucket of soapy water before rinsing off.

As I did this evening, before darkness beat me :roll:

And no, I don't mean Justin Hawkins! :LOL: :LOL:

Muz

Latest posts

Back