diamond back apex project

aljsk8

Dirt Disciple
hi all - just some steel frame questions

just bought a 1991 (i think) diamondback apex frame (5 pound off the bay)
it was pretty tatty but everything is dent free and looks to be structurally ok

ive stripped the frame with nitromorse and it looks really nice

is there any way of removing the blackish oxidation layer off without a wire brush or sanding - im after some kind of liquid i can just rub on it and then the frame is all shiny....

can you clear powder coat or will it have to be spray paint? (im after a raw look)

there is quite a bit of rust - most of the rust is just surface rust and that wire brushes out easly but 2 parts have some deep penetrating rust and im wondering if i can remove these parts - they are brazed on and they go between the left and right chainstays and seatstays

im presuming these just stiffen the frame up - so how much effect will it have? (im 11 stone - so not to much stress on the bike and i will be using to comute)

also with brazing can i just use a normal handheld gas bottle to heat and remove bits like cable guides (this will be a single speed bike)
i want to put a modern cromo straight blade fork on this frame - it is 1 1/8th so thats fine but im after a fork thats about an inch longer than the stock fork to slope the top tube a bit. this will chance the headtube angle - 1) will it look daft. 2) will it ride ok. try to keep answers non biast - i dont want replies like... what a modern fork!

sorry about the rubbish grammar and spelling

im more of a technical guy than an poet

Back