Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:38 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433 ... 492  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:18 am 

My dad just gave me his old 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp. Its a Large frame and still has most of the original parts inculuding the Shimano Deore XT components. The paint is moderately scratched up but it rides great and is good condition. Anybody know what its worth on Ebay? There is only one other exact model that i have seen on ebay and its XL in better condition for $2995.

Attachments:
image_3.jpeg
image_3.jpeg [ 40.64 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:51 am 
Old School Hero

This isn´t exactly what can be called a "large frame", it´s probably an eighteen or nineteen inch frame, but Spesh did produce frames up to 21.5 or even 22". One question regarding the bike you saw in the bight; did it actually SELL for that amount of money or did some guy try to make an unreasonably amount of cash out of it?

To give you an idea what these Rockhoppers are worth, this bike is up for sale since a few months:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1988-Sp ... 0531248471
Really lovely condition but 800 US dollars are obviously out of range.

"Moderately scratched" you should end up in between 60 and 150 bucks depending on the quality of the photos, the shipping conditions and so on....

edit: i did overread "Stumpjumper", add 30 - 50 and the bill fits. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:01 am 
Retro Guru

It's both scratched up and in good condition?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:18 am 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider

Mitchmalibu wrote:
My dad just gave me his old 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp. Its a Large frame and still has most of the original parts inculuding the Shimano Deore XT components. The paint is moderately scratched up but it rides great and is good condition. Anybody know what its worth on Ebay? There is only one other exact model that i have seen on ebay and its XL in better condition for $2995.

You will be lucky to get 150 GBP for the complete bike. Sell the frameset and you'll get 80 GBP. The rest will bring you some money too....

I think the one you saw an eBay is from BBC bikes.... That says it all. Lot's of nice bikes, but I don't think they have ever sold one...

Post subject: Marin Nail Trail - 1996?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:03 pm 

Hi there
Going to put this on ebay in next week or so - would really appreciate if someone can help tie down the year and give me an approx idea of a fair price.

I bought it new from Mosquito bikes in Islington in (I think!) 1997, but it was an end of season offer so I believe it is actually the 1996 model. After two months I put the Marzocchi bomber on it - again bought new from Mosquito Bikes. Used it for a couple of years as a commuter and did a few weekends away, but since i moved oop north it has stood in the garage. LBS serviced it recently - new cables, etc. Works fine. Cones and cups in hubs are very pitted, apparently, but still work fine.

Is all original as far as I remember - except for seat post clamp, saddle and tyres. Frame has a lot of marks on it, shown in one of the photos.

Any information gratefully received!

Attachments:
marin.JPG
marin.JPG [ 296.9 KiB | Viewed 299 times ]
Marin1.JPG
Marin1.JPG [ 437.8 KiB | Viewed 299 times ]
Marin2.JPG
Marin2.JPG [ 435.18 KiB | Viewed 299 times ]
Marin3.JPG
Marin3.JPG [ 445.96 KiB | Viewed 299 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:26 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Unless anyone tells me different, I assume that the frame is a generic one of that era, similar to the malt bikes Merlin were chucking out. Seems a fairly low spec - stx cranks? Forks are worth a bit if not leaking, full bike with the scuffed flite saddle probably £120ish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:28 pm 

mountainbec wrote:
Hi. I’ve got a 1993 16inch Specialized S. Works frame in purple/maroon fade built up with all the original period bits like Ritchey logic cranks and brakes, Mavic 531 hubs and M231 rims. Original XT headset and mechs, USE seat post etc. I stopped using it not long after I built it in the mid 90’s so it’s all in very good condition. I'm thinking about selling it.....how much for?

Looks in very good nick. Don't come up that often, and when they do seem to vary a bit on price but I imagine with that spec you should be looking at £250 ish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:43 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

coomber wrote:
Unless anyone tells me different, I assume that the frame is a generic one of that era, similar to the malt bikes Merlin were chucking out. Seems a fairly low spec - stx cranks? Forks are worth a bit if not leaking, full bike with the scuffed flite saddle probably £120ish.

It's a Marin, do you know which model?
Also listing the parts on it will help value it.
Th stem looks like a Specialized titanium, but probably Marin!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:45 pm 

Thks Coomber - i though the forks might be the most valuable bit of the bike! They aren't leaking and work well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:50 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
It's a Marin, do you know which model?
Also listing the parts on it will help value it.
Th stem looks like a Specialized titanium, but probably Marin!

Sorry if I didn't make it clear - think its a Nail Trail, 1996 - all stock parts on it except for seat post clamp and saddle. So is fairly basic build

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433 ... 492  Next