Cannondale H series - Why no love?

Twister

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Coming home yesterday I passed someone on a Cannondale H300. 'That's nice.' I thought 'what an awesome retro commuter.'

So I went away to look at the mid nineties Cannondale hybrid range.

I made two discoveries:

1) I really want an H800 or C1000- they are the definitive pre bad boy commuter.

2) Cant see any UK love for this range

So I have a couple of questions for you all

Were these models sold in the UK?
Does anyone on here have/had one?

I want gratuitous pictures.

Re:

I had an H800 for many years.I always used two bikes,one set up for road use and one for off road.My original road bike was an Orange Prestige with Atek rims and 1" tyres,but I found the stretched out arse up and nose down position too much for my back (I have a condition called DISH) so I replaced the Orange with a Cannondale H800.

This had a "gentlemans" upright position and I used to go cycling on Sundays for 3-4 hours without problem and commute to work during the week whenever I could.My offroad bike by then was a Beast of the East with riser stem and bars.

I bought the bike from Evans at Croydon and the only problems I can remember were the brakes and the dreadful Wolber wheels.The wheels went really out of true (buckled) within a few weeks so I had my LBS build me a pair of handbuilt rims on XT hubs.The brakes were OK on the flat but could not cope with Mid Devons alpine descents and were eventually replaced with V brakes.I sold it for £80 at the Exeter car boot sale in the end.

These days my equivalent bike is a 3.0 series with short riser stem and bars.

Attachments

• H800.jpg
    H800.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 3,834
Re:

Retro city bikes or whatever you wish to call them are just not popular. Never sold many back in the day so never see that many around. Suppose In the nineties cycle lanes were nearly non existent and mtb were a do it all bike.

Doesn't mean there weren't some good bikes. Marin made some nice flat bar 700c bikes.

Re:

We used to sell boat loads of the Raleigh Pioneers and a few Marins and other brands too. I think that most people looking for that kind of bike weren't looking to spend Cannondale prices.

Nothing wrong with Cannondale :cool:

But its a commuter , for you to commute to work on. Work that takes you away from riding where you wish, which is usually out the bounds of a hybrid.
Simple truth
Hybrid- Work
MTB- Play

Hybrid-Bad
MTB-Good

QED :p

Re: Re:

raidan73":1v1l1xtz said:
We used to sell boat loads of the Raleigh Pioneers and a few Marins and other brands too. I think that most people looking for that kind of bike weren't looking to spend Cannondale prices.

I remember my friend bought a Raleigh Pioneer in the early 90's;.white with green and purple bits IIRC. It wasn't comparable with the H800, but as you say probably a quarter of the price.

Re: cannondale h800

I rode to work on a cannondale h800. It's now hanging on the wall in the garage. It's got a bit of surface rust and needs some tlc but if anyone wants to give it a home then it's free to pick up.
Contact me on fribble@mac.com.

Howard

Re:

I confess I'd never heard of an H series Cannondale until I read this thread but they do look lovely.

I have a 2002 Badboy that I commute on and do any long road rides on. I rode the Whitehaven to Sunderland Coast to Coast on it last September and it really is an awesome bike.

Re:

I saw this thread and thought the H Series look nice :cool:
Checked Ebay and there was one there for Buy Now and now I need to pick it up next week :facepalm:
I will remove the rack / mudguards / stand and make it into my work bike but hopefully a nice fast ride ride as the Cannondale frames are nice and light ➡️

Attachments

• rsz_12016-05-07_13h56_49.png
    rsz_12016-05-07_13h56_49.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,929
I have a 1992 T1000 (dark green with gold decals) touring bike, the best commuter I have ever had (and I am no Cannondale fan). Bike needs a respray after years and years (ab)use. Has lots of oxidation underneath the bb.

Back