Precision/Pauls mechs

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Lovely bits of kit with prices to match but would there be a market for a new one? Is the price solely related to the vintage or the cnc craftsmanship or both? Whadya think would you buy a new version or is the premium price reserved for the originals? Bearing in mind it would still be niche and exclusive.

niche derailleurs

Right now Carbon sports has created an all carbon road derailleur and it is very expensive. Tiso also has a very lightweight rear derailleur and they go for a lot of euros as well. So, if Paul were to re-introduce their derailleurs they could probably ask for 300-400 pounds I would guess.

I've seen the lightweight one very very nice. Have to have a look for the Tiso one. £3-400 sounds expensive but some kit does sell at this level. I wonder what it would take for Pauls to start producing them again.

some pictures of modern boutique derailleurs

Here's a Lightweight derailleur, Tiso, Thm-Carbones, and Rot5. All very expensive.

Attachments

• Schaltwerk_lightweight.jpg
    Schaltwerk_lightweight.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,789
  • tisoderaill2.jpg
    tisoderaill2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,789
  • thmderaill.jpg
    thmderaill.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,789
  • rot5deraill.jpg
    rot5deraill.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,789
Well, I have sent Paul a mail asking him if he would reproduce the derailleurs again...

Sorry, that is not going to happen any time soon.

Have a good ride,

Paul
www.paulcomp. com
Paul Component Engineering
530-345-4371

So that's quite clear. I do think there's a market for special derailleurs and have looked at the options that were mentioned before. But I don't think 5Rot for example does the same thing to me as a Paul...

Grt

Casper

But chatting to paul, on the quiet, they are working currently on a 4 speed system. . . don't know if its internal or not, but we haven't heard the last from Pauls transmission. .

Don't know how much lighter or better functioning a CNC derailleur could be compared to XTR M972 or Sram X.0... I think under 200g for a MTB rd is quite good already.

Those carbon ones sure are light, but do they function as well as DA, Record or Red?

I have been in contact with Paul many times (i think it is still cool to get a reply from himself)
He told me there are no plans for reproducing the Paul's that we know, not even spare parts, absolute no interest, unfortunately.

but off course, if there is anybody with a CNC machine,..i have a spare Paul we could use as the example and have it engraved with RETROBIKE instead of PAUL ;)

Defiant":17c3b5zp said:
but off course, if there is anybody with a CNC machine,..i have a spare Paul we could use as the example and have it engraved with RETROBIKE instead of PAUL ;)
it will be a long time coming, but thats the paln. .
And then all you guys can make me rich and I'll retire on a beach. . . . ;)

Back