Identifying cook bros crank model

colinr

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
How do I identify different models, I need to know if I need different spindle lengths for different crank types.I want to run them in a modern frame.I am led to believe I will need 122mm spindle for original cook bros,does this length shorten with later cook cranks.
i would post a pic of cranks but that is beyond my computer skills.

Regards colin

I have an e type and a smaller axle does the job .

earlier cranks were straight so you need a longer axle , otherwise you are going to touch the frame . later models are curved .

my cranks are the later curved model then.
Using these cranks on a 1998 p7 presently with a110 spindle which is giving me 45mm distance from c/l of down tube to middle ring. I think I should be aiming for 47.5mm. so if I use a 115-117 mm spindle I should get it about right?
I want to put these cranks on a airborne lucky strike ti frame running 8speed and will all the above still apply.?

Regards Colin

Sounds about right although I usually use the less scientific method of the shortest axle that allows the arms to clear the chainstay by about 5mm :D

before you check your chain line , make sure that your cranks dont touch your frame . ( it should be ok ) .

usually the lengh of the bb is dependant of the chainset , not the frame , so you should be ok .

Thanks for the info Scant ,The link was very helpfull.Looks like I need 113 spindle length.I need a quality 113 bottom bracket now preferably aTi one"becoming a bit of aweight weenie in my old age".Any body got one.All the ones I see on ebay seem to be 110mm.Could I getaway with 110 or best to hang on for113?

Regards Colin

P.s This build is a replacement for my manitou hardtail which was stolen.Gone for a modern frame but all components will be old school stuff I have got laying around.

gaf was selling a "real" b..bracket recently. for the price un72s are also respectable weight with decent lifespan :)

Back