Source for Shimano cartridge pad inserts?

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Does anyone know if you can still get pads to fit the Shimano cartridge holders in the photo?

IMG_0692.jpg

They are STX RC pad holders from a cantilever brake and the pads are approximately 63mm long. Pad holders are front / rear specific too so I'm guessing the pads have to be as well.

SJS have a load of Kool Stop cartridge pads but none are the same as these. Just wondered if anyone knows of anything currently available that fits?

Cheers :D

Thanks for that.

Can't find any replacement rubber for them new, so will stick them in the parts box for now and get some Eagle Claws.

The replacements are difficult to find. It's the Shimano M65T inserts you'd need for those LX pad holders. The XT and XTR cartridge pads were the M70/R versions, ie 5mm longer.

As far as I can tell there are no after-market versions of these pads available, so if you can find replacements then you are stuck with Shimano's rim eating pad compound.
I'd like to be corrected on this because I'd like a stock of non Shimano replacements for mine...

CRC were selling off a load of NOS LX M565 canti sets a while ago for a very reasonable price. You could I suppose buy a set just for the pads, but it kind of defeats the point of replacement cartridge brake pads as you'll still be left with another set of cantis needing new pads.

I've managed to source some original Shimano ones thanks to bhill22 (Cheers mate ;) ). But this was never really intended to be simply a 'wanted' thread.

I was curious to know if anyone knew of a source for replacement pads as I'm sure theres more folks than just me in need of spares.

I'm sure Kool Stop (and others) made some BITD but I guess they're no longer manufactured.

It seems that there isn't a good source of currently made alternatives, so we're just going to have to rely on the chance someone may stumble across some at their LBS and share the information with the rest of us. :D

I may buy a couple of sets of modern Shimano road cartridges and some replacement pads for when these are dead.

I remember when I bought my bike in 95, that had these LX cartridge pads, I remember buying some spares at the time, specifically because I could imagine (especially as XT and above seemed to have different cartridge / pads) that at some point stock would dry up.

Kinda makes me wonder what the point of them being replaceable was, really - I know that it's the best part of 20 years ago, now - but all the same, I can't imagine there was stock around for that long - since Vs were over-hyped, over-sexed, and over here not long afterwards.

Did any third parties / aftermarket vendors make any replacements that fitted, BITD?

Back