Seatpost shims - possibly a daft question

Johnboy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
What's the point of shimming a seatpost? I'm thinking specifically of Orange shimming Clockworks and P7's from 29.6mm to 26.4mm.

I have just acquired a P7 and wondered if there was any issues removing the shim.

I can understand an individual doing it to fit an existing seatpost they have, but why would a manufacturer? Is it to strengthen it?

I hope I'm not missing something obvious :oops:

Hi, i currently run 3 Oranges with Shim's removed (2 x Orange X1's & my C16R) Thankfully i was able to find Orange setposts to re-fit in a larger size. I've had no issues to date,

Jussa :D

Probably cheaper and more available in smaller size? Whilst tubes were chosen for other properties for the frame? All guesswork mind.

jaypee":3n4bglv4 said:
I asked the same question in this post (so probably daft yes ;-) )
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=265834&start=10

Various answers, the best from Anthony at the top of the third page.

Thanks jaypee, that does sort of make sense and is pretty much what I thought. I had done a search on seatpost shims but never found your post.

Johnboy":1b6znn5r said:
jaypee":1b6znn5r said:
I asked the same question in this post (so probably daft yes ;-) )
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=265834&start=10

Various answers, the best from Anthony at the top of the third page.

Thanks jaypee, that does sort of make sense and is pretty much what I thought. I had done a search on seatpost shims but never found your post.

Anthony has some valid points but but it's worth doing some investigating yourself, sometimes all is not what it seems, have a look at page 9 of this thread, just goes to show that misprints in catalogues and different tubing sizes result in non standardisation something Orange seemed to do over the years. A good ruler and some vernier callipers will provide the results you need :D
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=182168&start=80

Jussa, I just want an easy life, all I wanted to know is can I remove the shim! Now you've caused all sorts of confusion :LOL:

But I've had the vernier out, measured the internal seat tube diameter and the external diameter of the shim and I'm happy that it should be 29.8, as in the '97 catalogue. So thanks for helping me to avoid a costly mistake.

My serial number starts MT711 which I think means that it was manufactured in November 1997, but would be the '98 model year, so according to the catalogue should be 29.6, I can only assume that's a misprint.

Now I've delved a bit deeper it also means this post should arguably be in the 1998 section. Please accept my profound apologies and I hope you can all find it in your hearts to forgive this transgression.

Ooopsie, my apologies, it's a nightmare lol I have been there, confused, loadsa advice all different lol, sure you will be sorted :)

Maybe it was an aesthetic thing. This is just a guess. I think a slim seat post looks quite elegant on the right build. :cool: I had a Clockwork that had a USE blue seat post and it looked really good with a Flite saddle on top.

I have no idea how the addition of a shim would affect a seat post collar, as my Clocky didn't have one.

Back