Steerer too short?

Korszun

Devout Dirtbag
Good morning chaps and chapesses.

Last night I decided to start the next project which has been accumulating in the man cave since the summer. Continuing the Zolatone fetish I seem to have developed, a 1990 Eldridge.

Well I began by scrubbing things down, the old Zolatone is a bit tatty but I'm not going to refinish as I don't believe in it unless it's really necessary, and on this occasion it's not... in my opinion. Anyway, I digress.

I decided to replace the headset that was on with the Ritchey logic NOS unit I'd been saving since I mistakenly bought it (wrong size) for a previous build. I knocked the old H/S out easily, cleaned up the headtube and greased up. The crown race and cups went in no problem, I assembled correctly first time, I was feeling quite the mechanic until I came to the lock nut. What a chump... I had forgotten to consider stack height, or (as I told myself) at least assumed the Ritchey was likely lower than the stock Marin H/S, or at least about the same. Anyway, it is higher and the lock nut is short of what I think looks comfortable. There are just over three complete turns before it hits the washer.

Is this enough? Pictures below.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 380
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 380
I'd ride that, I guess worst case scenario is the locknut would keep working itself loose?

That locknut looks quite chunky, without the locknut on there appears to be more than enough threaded steerer showing, maybe you could try using the locknut from the old headset? it may be a bit thinner than the Ritchey locknut and give a few more turns to secure it?

Should be fine but be prepared for more than average adjusting / locking your headset.

Cheers fellas. I guess the alternative is to go back to the old unit, it is definitely serviceable. I just wanted a new one!

How fickle I am.

That looks fine to me too. You'll probably find that after a couple of rides the headset will settle in and you'll get a little bit more thread to play with.

I have a similar situation with my Marin frame. It seems Marin cut the steerer tubes very short on their early 90s bikes, meaning low stack height headsets only. :?

Back