1995 Kona Explosif project complete

Explosif Phil

Old School Hero
First of all I would like to say a big thank you to everybody who has contributed an opinion or given advice, if I hadn't of stumbled across Retrobike this time last year I wouldn't be back MTBing again.

I am sure there have been many Kona's featured before and my bike may just be another one, but to me this is my dream bike from BITD when I first started MTBing as a teenager. I always wanted a Cinder Cone as realistically back in the mid nineties £500 was as much I could hope to get as a B'day and Xmas present from my parents. It never happened and Moto X bikes, cars girls, beer and pubs eventually took over my love of MTBing.

Roll on 15 years and my LBS had a red Kona Explosif that had been part exchanged by a regular customer who had used it to race for a couple of seasons. I paid £180 7 years ago for it and up until last year had used it to commute to work mainly, occasionally riding off road. The paintwork was very bad, there was more touch up paint left than the original ! All the drive train was worn out and after a shoulder injury riding off road using solid P2 forks were not helping. The riding position was very racey, flat bars and 130mm stem meant I was stretched out and uncomfortable.

So what to do ? I knew the bike must be worth something for the frame alone as I knew they were that good that Kona gave them a lifetime repair or replacement guarantee. Even if I sold it it, it wasn't going to be able to afford a decent modern XC/Trail MTB with the money and I didn't have the money to buy a new bike. Then I found this site, hallelujah ! After posting some questions and polls I realised that the 95 Explosif was something special and I was told I would regret selling it by other people who had done the same.

I decided to restore, replace and rebuild it into my dream bike. I chose not to do a factory spec rebuild as there are many good examples already. Instead I wanted to use period correct brands such as Race Face, Kore and Mavic, even if the parts from those manufacturers I used wouldn't have been on sale when the bike was originally sold. Think upgrade parts when the originals have worn out. The Project 2 forks were swapped for Marzocchi Bomber 2's, and the bars, stem and headset then became Aheadset compatible. Almost all of the components are the original XT Groupset apart from the shifters and the freehub.

Since I have built and ridden it I have fallen in love with my Explosif all over again, the forks work so well and are a perfect match for the frame. I have loved ridding the North Downs in Kent and Sussex all summer long. I will be buying a modern F/S disc brake bike next year for more trail riding/Wales etc and keep my Kona for local rides. Then I will have the best bikes for both worlds. I can't imagine I will ever sell this. There will be some photo's of the bike for those who are interested. What do you think, good enough for BOTM?.

My colour, my design, my choice, thank you. :D

Attachments

• Resized 258 kb.JPG
    Resized 258 kb.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 867
  • Resized Kona Avatar.jpg
    Resized Kona Avatar.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 867
  • 20130311_223309.jpg
    20130311_223309.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 867
  • 20130311_223232.jpg
    20130311_223232.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 867
  • 20130307_154029.jpg
    20130307_154029.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 866
  • 20130307_154602.jpg
    20130307_154602.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 866
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 867
  • 20121106_123757.jpg
    20121106_123757.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 866
Great story Phil.....it mirrors the way many of us got here, middle aged men fulfilling a teenage dream. You won't regret keeping the bike, in fact they get under your skin like classic cars, on paper being worse than modern bikes but in reality having so much carachter and being so much more than the sum of their parts that they become the first bike you go to......I find myself making excuses to go to the shop just to go to the rack of bikes I've accumulated and take one out.....the konas have always punched above their weight and give a lively, feelsome ride across the range.....nice colur too!......the only remaining thing is to now get out and ride with us. Retro rides encapsulate all we enjoyed as kids on our bikes, only now the beer consumption is legal...... :D

Your thread will soon be found in the next section down once the mods sleep off their hangovers and wake up on johns living room floor.....

Cheers for your feedback, I am looking forward to joining you all on a Retro ride sometime soon, I was keen on the London/Urban ride that has been arranged a couple of times. I will keep on an eye on the forum for the next ride. You are not wrong about the classic car thing, I am finishing a project Peugeot 205 Gti at the moment ready for the new year! :D

That looks awesome. It's surprising how many people love the old Kona's. Do you get admiring looks from all ages on it?

Cheers, yes I have had few compliments and knowing nods from people whilst out on rides.The most memorable moment was when I went flying past a girl on a Cinder Cone and her BF on a F/S modern trail bike doing a red run at Bedgebury. When I got to the bottom they caught up with me, he stopped to find out it was an Old School Kona with mere V-brakes and only 80 mm travel fork. I think it proves that spending thousands on the latest and greatest doesn't make you a better MTBer. I said I like your bike, he said thanks. I said no not yours, I was talking about your GF's Kona! Should have seen the look on his face, his GF just smiled and nodded ; )

I have a freshly powder coated black Project 2 fork, 410mm a-c threaded steerer and Velocity stem 130mm in black left over from this build complete with correct decals from Gil M yet to be applied I am happy to swap for parts or cash.

Explosif Phil":tnwx7zyn said:
I have a freshly powder coated black Project 2 fork, 410mm a-c threaded steerer and Velocity stem 130mm in black left over from this build complete with correct decals from Gil M yet to be applied I am happy to swap for parts or cash.

Keep em, you'll regret selling them when the next project comes along........ ;)

Back