The Malvern Classic?

kyle888

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anyone got any info on what happened to The Malvern classic race? I assume it doesn't run anymore.

I remember going to watch it when I had just got into xc and I was about 12 or so I guess.

The last of the classics took place in the late nineties as far as I know.

Eastnor Deer Park was used for Mountain Mayhem up until last year though.

Did they still do the lake leaping towards the end?

I think was about 95 ish when I went.

is mountain mayhem not running anymore then?

mayhem lives......just not at eastnor after the great 2012 mudbath!.....the bottom of the lake was the cleanest bit!....

I think the organizers got a bit fed of people rolling down the beer tent and stabbing people. Shame as I liked the drinking / festival side of the event as much as the racing (first went when it was the 'Challenge' so that's going back a bit).

I think the last was late July of 1995, which was when the stabbing happened, about a week before I moved to Dallas, I'd raced there for many years prior. I drove down for the day to be turned away Somehow met up with Cy (cotic) and his Dad at the Herefordshire Beacon and we rode the hills for a while before heading home.

Was still going later than '95, as I was there in '97.

Good laugh, but a long drive back to Scotland after that weekend! :xmas-big-grin:

someone got stabbed there?

firedfromthecircus":wq37971s said:
Was still going later than '95, as I was there in '97.

Good laugh, but a long drive back to Scotland after that weekend! :xmas-big-grin:

fair play Scotland's a trek!

Heck that's a long drive for Malvern (says he who drove 600 miles to race in Big Bend, Texas many years ago).

So I guess it did survive a few more years... I still have the 'Mycycles Malvern Hills Classic' jingle stuck in my head...

In '95 I drove down there and coming through Malvern saw all these cars going the other way with bikes loaded... which I thought was odd... then got to that sharp left turn to Eastnor and the police had it closed and not letting anyone down there. Drove back up to the top of the Hills where I found Cy and his Dad and got the scoop on what had happened.

Just noticed that I still have a photo on my desk that I bought there in I think '93 when it was the 7-up nationals it was a different loop that hit a bunch of mud.

Back