Help - 8 speed XT integrated shifters/levers are acting up.

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
I got a set of 8 speed XT level rapid fire shifter/brake levers on my Norco Rampage purchase. Both sides are acting squirrly - most of the time they will shift, but relatively frequently I find the levers are sloppy and won't pull or release cable when called upon. I had something similar happen with my 9 speed ultegra brifters. The recommended fix was to clean them out with penetrating oil and then relube with an appropriate spray lube. Will that approach work (maybe) here or should I start shopping for some shifters and levers?

Re: Help - 8 speed XT integrated shifters/levers are acting

It is the familiar problem; the grease hardens and gums them up. Use the flushing trick.

If you are lazy like me, then you can just remove the plastic cap on the bottom and spray a ton of WD-40 (or the like) in there and the run it through the gears a couple of times. When I got my Wicked Fat recently the bike had been sitting for years and neither side was shifting. Did the above, twice, and its been fine for a year.

Steven

I've had this problem and had two problems causing it. One was the cable was fraying at the cable cap in the shifter and the other was the wire reinforcement wires in the outer cable protruded past the ferrule and squashed the inner cable preventing it sliding smoothly.

lewisfoto":2c6ppcne said:
If you are lazy like me, then you can just remove the plastic cap on the bottom and spray a ton of WD-40 (or the like) in there and the run it through the gears a couple of times. When I got my Wicked Fat recently the bike had been sitting for years and neither side was shifting. Did the above, twice, and its been fine for a year.

Steven

What kind of lube did you use after the WD-40 flush?

Phil's Tenacious, if you want but the WD-40 will re animate the old grease...

Latest posts

Back