Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:15 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:07 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:36 am
Posts: 284
Location: Sheffield
Clean looking bike that. Theres just a great feel to a steel frame and i agree they do tend to float over the small stuff well.

Brocklanders : how many of the bikes in your signature have you still got ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:20 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7056
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
brocklanders023 wrote:
The old school ones never had a 'made in Halifax' badge as far as I know as they were not and never pretended to be. They were always very clear that the bikes were designed for the UK but built overseas (except the Formula)



Rubbish.

Christ it wasn't that long ago people here were arguing they were all made in Halifax, and Orange certainly didn't go out of there way to broadcast the fact, im sure you will agree. (approx. end of 2010 :roll: )

Which one of the Experts ride Colemans old Prestige....? when he first got the bike he posted it was built in Halifax and im sure most agreed..... :roll: And plenty took umbridge when it was pointed out it wasn't, I probably still have the PMs to be fair. :facepalm:

Its all irrelevant now, but having "BUILT in England" on a bike Pulled a lot of Sway BITD, and was im Sure a contributory factor to a lot of people buying the product, Oblivious to the fact it was far east produced .

I can count on one hand how few mag reviews mention the full facts BITD.

The "BUILT in England" badge said it all for a lot of british bike companies, and YES it did put a lot of Noses out of Joint, especially those that were "actually" hand building frames up and down the country.

And FWIW not all Clockworks were made in the Far east either, a small amount prior to mass produced far east frame purchasing were "Genuinely".............."HANDBUILT" in the Uk,..... just like the Formula.

Very few Remain.... :wink:


Last edited by sinnerman on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:26 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:36 am
Posts: 284
Location: Sheffield
Wish you hadnt told me about a few being built in halifax because I WANT ONE OF THOSE NOW :facepalm:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:28 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:36 am
Posts: 284
Location: Sheffield
By the way sinnerman. The cw you just built , if you had to put a price on it. What would it be ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:40 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7056
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
tuubz wrote:
Wish you hadnt told me about a few being built in halifax because I WANT ONE OF THOSE NOW :facepalm:



There were several made here in the uk, using Tange Prestige Tubesets, followed by some early lower grade tube set frames fabricated in the far east and clearly labelled prototype, before the finalisation of the finer points prior to mainstream far east production/purchasing.

I think Coleman has an early far east frame with the prototype decal, that I sincerely hope he is refurbishing carefully.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:30 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:36 am
Posts: 284
Location: Sheffield
Thanks for the info guys , its given me plenty to think about.
Also just looked through some old threads and enjoyed the reading.

Cheers
Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:34 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 7056
Location: KEEPING THEM SAFE FROM HARM, ANYWAY I CAN....!
tuubz wrote:
Thanks for the info guys , its given me plenty to think about.
Also just looked through some old threads and enjoyed the reading.

Cheers
Mike



When the bikes finally get finished I shall post a thread. and add to the clockwork owners thread too.

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:57 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Posts: 9730
Location: Skipton
sinnerman wrote:
brocklanders023 wrote:
The old school ones never had a 'made in Halifax' badge as far as I know as they were not and never pretended to be. They were always very clear that the bikes were designed for the UK but built overseas (except the Formula)



Rubbish.

Christ it wasn't that long ago people here were arguing they were all made in Halifax, and Orange certainly didn't go out of there way to broadcast the fact, im sure you will agree. (approx. end of 2010 :roll: )

Which one of the Experts ride Colemans old Prestige....? when he first got the bike he posted it was built in Halifax and im sure most agreed..... :roll: And plenty took umbridge when it was pointed out it wasn't, I probably still have the PMs to be fair. :facepalm:

Its all irrelevant now, but having "BUILT in England" on a bike Pulled a lot of Sway BITD, and was im Sure a contributory factor to a lot of people buying the product, Oblivious to the fact it was far east produced .

I can count on one hand how few mag reviews mention the full facts BITD.

The "BUILT in England" badge said it all for a lot of british bike companies, and YES it did put a lot of Noses out of Joint, especially those that were "actually" hand building frames up and down the country.

And FWIW not all Clockworks were made in the Far east either, a small amount prior to mass produced far east frame purchasing were "Genuinely".............."HANDBUILT" in the Uk,..... just like the Formula.

Very few Remain.... :wink:



Really don't know where to start with this one......

I have never argued any such thing, don't let that stop you though. I have never had a retro Orange that has had a 'built in England' decal although I have not owned every model so would be interested to see one that does. My Saracen does but never on one of my Oranges.

I've got an MBUK artical from around 1991 where the Orange chaps speak quite proudly about designing here but getting them built overseas. Can't say I ever thought anything else even as a child bitd. I am fully aware of the few early hand built Clockworks but have stopped referencing them as I've never seen one and it just confuses the issue as people then think their far east built 1989 is one as it's an early bike. I did think I'd scored one once when I got the bike labeled as 'Prototype' but when I found the serial number I realised it was not the case so sold the bike on.

I'm the 'expert' that now owns Colemans Prestige. Please show me where I have ever said it was hand built.

Also, could you please point out which part of my original post was rubbish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:02 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Posts: 9730
Location: Skipton
tuubz wrote:
Brocklanders : how many of the bikes in your signature have you still got ?



That's out of date now tbh, I should change it as I've only got the Saracen now. Got a new Prestige and Clockwork to add to the list though. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:13 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:36 am
Posts: 284
Location: Sheffield
Who has the prototype now , do you know ?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: youngsspeed and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group