Clockwork info thread

Retroms68

Retro Guru
One for the orange crew
Im after a clockwork and have been looking at a few frames for sale and have noticed that some have the cable guide around the the bottom bracket where as others have a pulley on the seat tube. Is this a year difference if so what year did they change. Also if they are not tange infinity what tubeset is it. Did orange make them at halifax or were they all from china. ???

Re: Clockwork info please

Hi, the early Clockworks (89ish-92ish) had a front mech cable guide brazed along the top of the non-drive side of the BB shell, as in the photo. Not sure when the pulley came in. Tange Infinity tubing was used on these Clockworks. One of the jibes from the non-Orange fraterity on here is that Oranges were just a triumph of brand marketing with the frames being manufactured in the Far East, then assembled/finished in the UK. But then again, many other brands did/do the same. Some of the frames were just "designed in Britain", but from the mid-90s onwards, I think they were/are pretty much "hand built in Halifax" as the sticker says. However, there are members on here far better qualified to give you the correct period info. Good luck with the hunt! In the meantime, check out this great link:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/factory-visi ... tory-tour/

Attachments

• clockwork bb shell cable guide.jpg
    clockwork bb shell cable guide.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,146

Thanks for that i was beginning to think id asked a really stupid question. :)
I know what you mean about them being a marketing success. Orange must have thought all their birthdays had come at once when they realised what they were onto.

Not at all. There are a few subtle frame/tubing/brazing variations as Orange developed their bikes from early days. There's plenty of documentation and discussion of these within RB threads. Just wait till you get into the subject of frame numbering of Oranges...

The strong branding/marketing aspect isn't necessarily a bad thing. They ended up creating some iconic bikes, some may say. They had good vision/timing/luck to catch the zeitgeist of the time, particularly 'up North' (there's a thread on this point too). In the early 90's, I lived in Huddersfield just the other side of the hill to Orange's base and I saw the bikes around and in local shops. One place had a Clockwork frame and F7 forks going spare which I could just about afford, and built it up. The bike has been with me since 92/93.

They went to the top tube routed front mech cable in 1993 although some 1993 spec bikes had the old style. Most before this had the noodle at the bottom although a few examples on here show a plastic guide on the bb shell instead. A rough guide to this is that bikes with the classic decal style and classic paint jobs had the noodle, the later 'modern' decals and simpler paint jobs had the tt routed version. As always with Orange there are some overlaps.

Some of the very early versions seem to have been Tange DB but the vast majority are Tange Infinity up until just before the name changed to C16 and the tubes moved to Orange branded ones. The last of the Clockworks, before they were C16 had the Orange branded tubes.

My favourite period for looks and ride is 1992/3 so that's what I'd go for if I were you although they're all great.

Since I have not shifted my modern Clockwork frame I'm seriously considering collecting a load of them from all the different era's. Just don't tell our lass! :LOL:

Yeah i really do like the look of the early decals. Has any one experienced the ride of both the tange infinity and the orange home brand tubes , is there a noticeable difference ?

Just out of interest can someone show me a pic of the made in halifax decal.

tuubz":1zw0r70j said:
Yeah i really do like the look of the early decals. Has any one experienced the ride of both the tange infinity and the orange home brand tubes , is there a noticeable difference ?

Here's a pic of someone's head tube badge and the crest that went on seat tubes, plus a Mod-like 'Designed in Britain' sticker.

If you're interested, PM me your email and I can send you a link to download a back catalogue of most Orange brochures from.

Attachments

• hand built in halifax crest.jpg
    hand built in halifax crest.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,080
  • orange halifax badge.jpeg
    orange halifax badge.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,080
  • orange DIB sticker.jpg
    orange DIB sticker.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,076

They are modern badges. The Reynolds one is fitted to the current full suss bikes that are made in Halifax. The old school ones never had a 'made in Halifax' badge as far as I know as they were not and never pretended to be. They were always very clear that the bikes were designed for the UK but built overseas (except the Formula)

Ride wise I couldn't really tell the difference between my 1993 Infinity Clockwork and my Orange branded 1994 C16. Both very nice. I know others disagree but my small brain computes that Infinity = Clockwork, own brand = C16. I would have far less interest in an own brand Clockwork then an Infinity one although I'd snap up a Tange DB no worries. It's a strange curse this retrobike one. :facepalm:

Forgot to point out that these are modern badges/decals.

Was trying to work out what year the 'hand built in Halifax' stickers appeared on bikes. But yes, Orange were clear about most bikes being designed in UK and built overseas.

Would dearly love to get hold of the 'Halifax-England-Orange' head tube badge (pictured) if at all ever possible.

Agree about Infinity = Clockwork, own brand = C16.

What a curse Retrobike is – I just can't shake the spell.

tuubz":2ahfznya said:

This was the Clockwork that I owned in 1995/96, before it was nicked at Cardiff University. I am not sure when it was built, or what tubing it was, but it was very thin tubing and as light as hell. One of the things I like about Orange bikes is the wishbone seat stays.

I bought it in late 1995 and did a complete rebuild on it. The ride was wonderful. The frame flexed as you put the hammer down and I never bothered with suspension, because I felt that it wasn't necessary. I really miss this bike and though I got a P7 as a replacement, it just wasn't the same.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,038

Latest posts

Back