Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:52 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Ok, so winter is coming and I'm looking to beef up the rubber on my 94 clockwork, but there doesn't seem to be much space between the chainstays... so without having to resort to the tape measure I'd like to ask you guys what's the widest tyre you've comfortably fitted to your clockworks??

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:07 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I've never ran anything above a 2.1, but if the bike is on original rigid forks I'd imagine they would be the limiting factor....mine don't give much space with a 2.1 square shouldered smoke fitted.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:01 am 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
Got some fat deep carcass Continental Race King 2.2s on my early 90's Clockwork, with clearance varying between about 4 & 10mm within the rear wishbone. Before that, had some big fat WTB 2.2 Prowlers on. Before that, had the old Smoke & Dart on. The Race King 2.2s are very fast and fantastic in generally dry weather. Their volume kind of does away with the need for suspension. Now we're into damp autumn conditions, the Race Kings are slithering around on corners, so I'm having to ease off the gas. Am now looking for some suitable tyres for the damp and winter riding...

Attachments:
racekings22rearwish.jpg
racekings22rearwish.jpg [ 285.13 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]
racekings22rearstays.jpg
racekings22rearstays.jpg [ 167.37 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:52 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Fantastic! Thanks for the replies guys! Especially appreciate the pictures.I guess I'll start hunting for some 2.1's with big grooves then.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:27 am 
Old School Hero

The new issue amber wall 2.1 Panaracer Smoke measures 46mm wide on a Mavic 231 rim. So not really a 2.1 by today's standard but pretty good in winter goo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:01 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
henristig wrote:
Fantastic! Thanks for the replies guys! Especially appreciate the pictures.I guess I'll start hunting for some 2.1's with big grooves then.

Thanks. The Race King 2.2 is about 54mm wide. I've included another pic to also show the depth of the Conti's carcass – from the outer edge of the rim, the visible depth of the carcass is about 49mm. The Race Kings are very good in dry conditions but slither on damp slippy surfaces. A lot of today's tyres are much much fatter, so it can be tricky getting something to fit an old frame...

Attachments:
raceking22rearside.JPG
raceking22rearside.JPG [ 197.04 KiB | Viewed 286 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:02 pm 
Retro Guru

Jon Smith wrote:
The new issue amber wall 2.1 Panaracer Smoke measures 46mm wide on a Mavic 231 rim. So not really a 2.1 by today's standard but pretty good in winter goo.

Wow – where did you get these and are the Darts available?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:57 pm 
Old School Hero

Wow – where did you get these and are the Darts available?[/quote]

I got a little carried away by the Retro Bug and had to order the minimum run :facepalm:

I do have plenty of Smokes but no Darts. I was never a fan of Darts and used Smoke front and back BITD.

Due to the over estimation in the need for these tyres :oops: I've decided to try and build my collection to use up my tyre mountain :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:02 pm 
Retro Guru

Jon Smith wrote:
Wow – where did you get these and are the Darts available?

I got a little carried away by the Retro Bug and had to order the minimum run :facepalm:

I do have plenty of Smokes but no Darts. I was never a fan of Darts and used Smoke front and back BITD.

Due to the over estimation in the need for these tyres :oops: I've decided to try and build my collection to use up my tyre mountain :D[/quote]

Just how many did you have to order?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 am 
Old School Hero

Just how many did you have to order?[/quote]

A lot. It's a good job I run them front and rear, as I've just got to find another 90 or so bikes to fit them too, to use them up :shock: