Ceramic or not?

shutter

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
How do I tell if my wheels have a ceramic brake track?

They came on a bike I bought used and it had regular XTR V-Brakes with black pads

Do I have to use Ceramic brake pad Inserts with them? What happens if I do not?

How can I tell if the XTR pad interts on the old V-brakes were actually ceramic inserts?

thx!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 444
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 444
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 444
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 444
looks like ceramic.
I had the green koolstops[for ceramic] and grey koolstops, the grey ones I might as well have not had any brakes when it was wet, the green ones were good. Reminds me I need another set.

Cool, thx! I recall seeing black xtr ceramic inserts online, how do I know if I actually have those already?

Thx!

Doesn't matter if you do or don't.
One tip i got from a mavic tech (years and years ago) was to wear out a couple of sets of non ceramic pads on the rim first, before going to ceramic pads.

mattr":2mrb14h2 said:
One tip i got from a mavic tech (years and years ago) was to wear out a couple of sets of non ceramic pads on the rim first, before going to ceramic pads.

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the tip!

I called my lbs a few years ago to see if they had any ceramic pads in stock...and was told that no such thing existed!
Kids :roll:

shutter":2fp0gh93 said:
mattr":2fp0gh93 said:

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the tip!

I had it in my head that was the other way around ... ? :? :LOL:

Ceramic (hard) pads first as the rims are initially very rough / abrasive and the pads don’t get destroyed to quickly.

Standard pads OK once on the smoother surface.

Anyone else ? :LOL:

WD :D

Back