Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:46 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:53 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

To enable the release of one nice Royce BB that is completely and utterly seized in

I just got it on Ebay, Its still in the shell but the rest of the bike is missing :lol: It would have been far easier to remove had i the frame to use for leverage but for the sellers flash of inspiration.

So what i have is a bb shell, titanium i might add with all the tubes leading off it cut through. and inside the shell is the BB.
My plan is to use a bench grinder to initially thin the shell at the bottom , cutting across the screw hole for the bottom cable guide. The reason for this spot is to use the guide hole as a guide to judge on how deep i have cut. When i think its thinned enough ill swop to a dremel with a thin grinding wheel and cut through completely. Then the same on the other side. Due to the position of the tubes i only have a smaller section to cut through.
Im guessing ill have to go very carefully where the threads are before using a hammer and chisel to split it apart.

Before you ask, i have already had a go using a big spanner and the proper Royce removal tool. Any more leverage on it will damage the tool pins.
Pic

Attachments:
Why do i do this to myself 001 (Medium).JPG
Why do i do this to myself 001 (Medium).JPG [ 59.69 KiB | Viewed 347 times ]

Last edited by dyna-ti on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:58 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

will it uiff out and be rideable by the weekend? what groupset are you gonna use on it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:36 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Do you mean cut the remaining housing in two so you can twist one against the other in a vice? Ie between chainstays all the way round?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:50 am 

legrandefromage wrote:
will it uiff out and be rideable by the weekend? what groupset are you gonna use on it?

:lol: :lol:

I should have done a thread on this :lol: I reckon its in the right section, has to be pre '97 with its bottom routed cables.

Also id love to know what it originally was. Ti frame :? Clues, i can't quite make out the decals :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:57 am 

The History Man wrote:
Do you mean cut the remaining housing in two so you can twist one against the other in a vice? Ie between chainstays all the way round?

:? Not sure i follow, you mean in doing so the 'housing(BB Shell) would split in two.
Im meaning cutting through the housing completely in the middle,one cup to another as there will be a small gap between the housing and the body of the BB. Its only the ends over the threads that i wont be able to cut right through but will cut to about 1/2mm then the chisel will spread the housing and 'crack' at the thinned section over the threads.
This is what i hope/expect to happen :?

I'll do some pics tomorrow once ive ground an approximate section, you'll see what im meaning then.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:03 am 
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner

Cut it in half down the centerline and slip both cups off

File flats on the 2 pieces of shell, clamp em in a vise, and then use the correct bb tool to get the cups out

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:40 am 
Old School Grand Master

I would play a blowtorch over it to expand the BB shell and crack the corrosion that inevitably is holding it in.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:24 am 

hollister wrote:
Cut it in half down the centerline and slip both cups off

File flats on the 2 pieces of shell, clamp em in a vise, and then use the correct bb tool to get the cups out

That's what I meant but far more eloquently explained. Cut in the opposite direction to your first thoughts and avoid threads all together.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:28 pm 
Retro Guru

What you have is small enough to soak in oil for a couple of days. Then as I think I understand you, you plan to slice the length of the BB and peel the shell off the cups. I think one cup may be viable, but I think you'll struggle with the second.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:11 pm 
Retro Guru

I would say that that bottom bracket has already been removed from the frame. :P