The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Trying to take off the left side arm on my MF to change the bb.

Other side was fine. Stripped an extractor trying to move this one. No joy. Will get another later. Bike on side and soaking. Any suggestions gratefully received.

:facepalm: thanks THM

Re: Having a mare! Suggestions please?

Assuming the arms are not painted, I would try blow torching the arm and then having another go with new extractor.

If the arm is nothing special, generic sort of thing, i would cut it off and look for another. If you track close to bb spindle until a chunk is removed from the most chunky side(opposite to pedal end), then rock it up down to stretch it free, done it before, takes ten minutes with good hacksaw blades.

Try a different crank extractor.
Try some Plusgas or penetrating oil.
try and MTFU ;)

How on earth did you manage to strip the extractor and not the crank threads?

A good question. Sugino cranks are obviously tough stuff.

Soaking overnight. May pop to the big orange place and get another extractor ready for the morning. I suppose you keep the other side oiled when you do a bit on the sprockets etc over the years. That came off with no problem.

Might as well invest in something purposeful and that should last you for many years to come.

Just bought the park tools one from wiggle. Figure it will give the gt85 a couple of days to do its stuff. Also have a heat gun.

If the cranks aren't that important then ride it without a crank bolt. shouldn't take long to come off but a slight chance of damaging the tapers.

Back