Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Retro winter tyres?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:35 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm
Posts: 1180
Location: In the Garage in Somerset
Any recommendations for a set of good retro winter tyres?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro winter tyres?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:05 pm
Posts: 5651
Location: Aberdeen
knobbly tyres? or proper winter studded snow/ice tyres?

Panaracer Smoke/Dart worked for me all year round, retro-tastic re-issues can be found.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro winter tyres?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:01 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm
Posts: 1180
Location: In the Garage in Somerset
General knobblies really, I'm been running a set of panaracer XC fires and a kona sniff/onza dan on a couple of bikes and have found both slip and slide easily now the weather has turned and some of the trails are more like mudslides.

Would I be better going with a 1.8 smoke light on the rear? I seem to remember running a fat front / narrow rear BITD ( mainly cos the Raleigh I had couldn't fit a 2.1 rear tyre)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro winter tyres?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:07 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 4437
Location: Near Southampton
matt24777 wrote:
General knobblies really, I'm been running a set of panaracer XC fires and a kona sniff/onza dan on a couple of bikes and have found both slip and slide easily now the weather has turned and some of the trails are more like mudslides.

Would I be better going with a 1.8 smoke light on the rear? I seem to remember running a fat front / narrow rear BITD ( mainly cos the Raleigh I had couldn't fit a 2.1 rear tyre)


The whole thin rear really does depend on what you are riding in...if it is surface mud with hardpack underneath then yes thinner rear will help you cut through the slosh and into the stuff that your tyre will grip...If you are looking at total swishy marsh like boggy mud (what I get!) then a larger tyre will help you keep ontop of the myre! Bigger surface area less likely to sink too deep. I run a retro 2.1 Panaracer smoke on the rear, a good tyre if not a little slow, and a smoke dart on the front. Although to be honest a smoke on the front is good too... But I guess its the old thing of speed vs grip!

You decide

Doug


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro winter tyres?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:39 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 8658
Say I lack the whole retro ethos if you like but why do you need 'retro' winter tyres. Surely tyres of any age including modern that work in winter conditions are what your after. Retro correct kit looks good on a bike prepped for a photo shoot but in our usually horrid winters stuff that does the job is surely more important :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro winter tyres?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:05 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm
Posts: 16938
Location: 54 Festive Road Winchcombe GLOUCS Yarp...
I was out yesterday in mudy mess and despite reputations a 1.9 wildgripper on the rear gripped well and cleared much faster than the 2.3 conti vertical on the front.

And it was cheap as chips!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro winter tyres?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:09 am 
Classified Mod / Lincs, East and South Yorks AEC
Classified Mod / Lincs, East and South Yorks AEC
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:45 pm
Posts: 6012
Location: East Yorkshire
velomaniac wrote:
Say I lack the whole retro ethos if you like but why do you need 'retro' winter tyres. Surely tyres of any age including modern that work in winter conditions are what your after. Retro correct kit looks good on a bike prepped for a photo shoot but in our usually horrid winters stuff that does the job is surely more important :?


Totally agree with this, retro tyres may look good but if you want to enjoy riding your bike they are crap compared with modern offerings, I've just bought a pair of Maxxis Beavers from CRC for around £13.00 each and they are superb!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro winter tyres?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:59 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm
Posts: 1180
Location: In the Garage in Somerset
chrisv40 wrote:
velomaniac wrote:
Say I lack the whole retro ethos if you like but why do you need 'retro' winter tyres. Surely tyres of any age including modern that work in winter conditions are what your after. Retro correct kit looks good on a bike prepped for a photo shoot but in our usually horrid winters stuff that does the job is surely more important :?


Totally agree with this, retro tyres may look good but if you want to enjoy riding your bike they are crap compared with modern offerings, I've just bought a pair of Maxxis Beavers from CRC for around £13.00 each and they are superb!


I don't doubt that modern tyres are better than older ones, but then follows the argument that modern bikes are better than older ones..... which is not what I'm aiming for (or the point of this forum).

I like the tyres I used to ride on 15-20 years ago and I actually do ride them not just use them for photo shoots.

Was wondering about velociraptors or smoke/dart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro winter tyres?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:00 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm
Posts: 1180
Location: In the Garage in Somerset
wookiee wrote:
matt24777 wrote:
General knobblies really, I'm been running a set of panaracer XC fires and a kona sniff/onza dan on a couple of bikes and have found both slip and slide easily now the weather has turned and some of the trails are more like mudslides.

Would I be better going with a 1.8 smoke light on the rear? I seem to remember running a fat front / narrow rear BITD ( mainly cos the Raleigh I had couldn't fit a 2.1 rear tyre)


The whole thin rear really does depend on what you are riding in...if it is surface mud with hardpack underneath then yes thinner rear will help you cut through the slosh and into the stuff that your tyre will grip...If you are looking at total swishy marsh like boggy mud (what I get!) then a larger tyre will help you keep ontop of the myre! Bigger surface area less likely to sink too deep. I run a retro 2.1 Panaracer smoke on the rear, a good tyre if not a little slow, and a smoke dart on the front. Although to be honest a smoke on the front is good too... But I guess its the old thing of speed vs grip!

You decide

Doug


It is mostly surface with hard rocky stuff under, so maybe that was why the narrow rear worked so well all those years ago :roll: :wink: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Retro winter tyres?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:44 pm 
National & North West AEC
National & North West AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:43 am
Posts: 8146
Location: Macclesfield Forest
As already mentioned as being on the cusp of retro, I can highly recommend Panaracer Fire XC Pro tyres. I have a pair of the early skin wall types before they all went to black wall or the coloured edge types.

The tread pattern is a great all rounder and also available in a mud friendly 1.8 size. I run the 2.1 size on two of my modern bikes at the moment.

I'm also a fan of Ritchey Z-Max.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: boswell, Hotwheels., johndeverill, kermitgreenkona88, nutallabrot and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group