bottom bracket play - service or replace?

konahed

Kona Fan
I noticed today there is quite a bit of play in the bottom bracket of my 91 Lava Dome. It is the original bottom bracket, is it best to just service it or fit a new one?

The only way to truly find out is to remove and inspect. Have a look at the cones for 'pitting' on axle and cups. If it looks like 22 yrs has taken its toll...replace it, 'cos they tend to keep bedding in after you have worked on it. Wear will manifest as play. If you are taking your cranks off and all the other effort needed, replace it, if necessary. A sealed un 53/54/55 ouight to be suffice.

good luck.

yes, if its a sealed unit then play is terminal and a sign that its fooked......cup and cone are adjustable with the right tools to remove play, providing bearings and races are all good.....good luck, cup and cone are worth saving if possible, easy maintenance to keep it all as it should be, unlike the fit and forget sealed stuff which the manufacturers push as it keeps your hand in your pocket!...........just like the people who make our car engines just fit the gap, and seal them in plastic in plastic!.....

Got the same problem with my deore one, just can't get the damn thing out ! Off to the lbs to see if they can loose it, then I can decide its fate, would love to keep it but, if it's knackered I'll probably end up with a more modern sealed unit.

Latest posts

Back