can someone recommend a machinist...

oliverracing

Old School Hero
So - I Have broken a my dropouts off of a Giant cadex (1992 est) and I was wondering would anyone could recommend me a machinist or would happen to have the engineering ability to make me another one for not to extortionate a price (have also posted in wanted forum in hope someone has an original)

Thes are to go on my homemade carbon creation that I built a couple of months back, where I butchered a broken cadex for parts - clicky

broken one below for reference (sorry about the colour :oops: ) - it has split where the derailleur bolts on as can be seen

IMAG0865_zpsb9507820.jpg

IMAG0866_zps72f5a2a2.jpg

My old man is a 'machinist' he used to make us custom gear knobs for our old VWs back in the day! :cool:

I'm out for a Ruby with him tomorrow night so I'll ask him what he can do. :xmas-big-grin:

looking to attempt it myself short term - had a "how hard can it be" moment, and ordered a piece of 6mm aluminium to attempt it with - worse case scenario i've wasted £6.50 - best case I have a new dropout/hanger :D

If you are successful making your own then I reckon you should still send it to Chris at Intrincycle and he can anodise it for you. :D

yeah - good idea- but I'll get a selection of parts together to do at the same time :D - do you have an idea (or know where I could find out) how much 2 sets of dropouts (one sliding, one conventional) and a stem would cost?

EDIT: just found the ebay page :D

oliverracing":3ur3hwvk said:
do you have an idea (or know where I could find out) how much 2 sets of dropouts (one sliding, one conventional) and a stem would cost?

One off stuff is usually pricey. How you have them made is a factor as well. WEDM: perfect. pretty, and $$$$. Waterjet: functional and cheaper.

DSCF0011_zps91d0a43e.jpg

DSCF0003_zps2da7f7a5.jpg

oops - I was meaning - how much to anodize them :roll: - I'm definitely going to be making it myself, as I need it a week today, and I've already ordered the bits!

Back