Campagnolo MTB - Anyone have much experience?

WWC

Senior Retro Guru
Hello everybody

I feel like I’m leaning towards a campy drivetrain for my Yo Eddy.

Would need:

Front Mech
Rear Mech
Shifters

Any experience and/or opinions?

What are the options:

Cost
Reliability
Availability
Number of speeds

Cheers

Will

Which generation ?
First generation(before 92) like Euclid with massive brake levers ?
Second (after 92) like Record OR with the compact crankset and the Grafton style brakes calipers ?

I gt interest for the first generation. OK, it's heavy, hard to adjust but very strong and… so original instead of classic Shimano XT or Suntour XC pro…

My personal opinion is campy mtb stuff sucks in terms of form and function. I've used OR and Euclid and have had a difficult time with the adjustment of both. The massive Euclid stuff is kind of unique for the right bike but it better be period correct and you shouldn't plan on riding it. This is a good example….

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-scapin-tea ... SS:US:1120

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
As StanLee says, 100%
Has it's own charm, but is functionally "characterful".
In answer to your question, it would be an 8s assembly that you'd assemble. In good condition it is hugely expensive, and whilst it is very tear-downable and therefore repairable, spares are thin on the ground and expensive. Especially if you really want to do it properly with correct cable hanger, brake blocks, crank bolts and dustcaps. Seatposts and headsets can be hard to find too. These can be hugely expensive details to get right.
I have Euclid ultimate You could say this machine is flawed all over, but it also represents some "expolration" from the pioneering early days of the modern MTB.

That Yeti is stunning - nice matching cat who seems confused by the whole thing :LOL:

I ride a Gazelle Champion Mondial ATB with full Euclid bar XT2 thumbies and rear mech. I do like it.

I found that Olympus thumbies and mechs set up out of the box with minimal fiddling and worked fine, just like road stuff of the era. It always shifted with a solid clunk, but stayed in adjustment. I never tried brakes having used Maguras seemingly forever.

Agree with the comments above really. Its hard wearing, very well made, very positive clicks from the shifters but was a little lacking in finesse compared to Shimano's equivalent from the same era.

There was a nice Campy MTB groupset on offer recently at a good price too iirc.

Cheers all, good variety of feedback.

I like it as an alternative to the usual.

Cheaper than Paul anyway!

Any other interesting options?

Not fussed by Suntour for this build.

Back