kirk revolution

best bet is to find a donor bike on ebay if you want to stay true and the cheapest way too. there are a few parts on ebay but you could have got an LX or even XT equivalent for the same sort of money.

thing is ........ I bet Altus is rarer than XTR M900 now :LOL:

RBG

yep, finding a "donor" bike on ebay or elsewhere would probably be the easiest option for you, but try posting in the "wanted" section on here too, you never know you might just get lucky.
Surprisingly you don't see much of the Altus A-20 gear about these days, I'm sure there must have been plenty of bikes equipped with it as OEM equipment??

jimo746":1075yo3e said:
Surprisingly you don't see much of the Altus A-20 gear about these days, I'm sure there must have been plenty of bikes equipped with it as OEM equipment??

I suspect that the surviving examples of those bikes had their original components binned for better quality stuff long ago. I certainly didn't think twice about chucking my Accushift mechs & thumbies and Sakae cranks in the bin BiTD when I managed to acquire DX replacements. In fact, the DX stuff also ended up in the bin once I could afford XT and Middleburn. Oh, the misery of hindsight :cry: :cry:

paul28176":3vgcyq80 said:
I want to try and make it as original as possible

I'm not discounting this as an approach, although it doesn't appeal to me personally I can understand why you might want to. However when the original set up is heavy, low-end tat that's not likely to have survived the years well, surely it's worth thinking about an upgrade? Especially when it's likely to be easier and cheaper as well! Unless it's one of many bikes and you don't really intend to ride it much I suppose.

Any weight you can save off a Kirk has to be a good thing!

Entirely personal, but maybe aim for something of the same vintage (I'm guessing '91ish?) like DX perhaps. I'm not a stickler for full groupsets so would probably be swayed by what came along at the right price! ;) A donor bike may still be a good option if you can chance upon the right thing.

Latest posts

Back