Frame conundrum

Blinks

Dirt Disciple
Looking for a bit of advice......

I have two retro frames. One a 92 Kona Fire Mountain that I can't seem to find forks for and a 95 Marin Muirwoods.

I'd love to get the Kona going but can't justify spending £75 on a pair of new forks for it and 1 inch steerer forks appear as rare a rocking horse ****.

So I figured I'd try and sort the muirwoods out. Problem is both the bottom braket and also the seatpost are stuck solid. Many people would have scrapped it but its annoyed me enough that I don't want to be defeated.

I have some (2kg) of caustic soda. If I lobbed some down the seat tube does anyone reckon it might help free the bottom bracket which is steel. I didn't know if it would eat any rust?

The seat has been cut off by the previous owner who also killed the splines on the cartridge bottom bracket.

If not i might drill some holes and try a drift or failing that get my blow torch onto it.

Once I've melted it I will then take it to the scrappy :)

Any advice would be brilliant :) cheers!

I would keep looking for some 1" forks and get the kona up and running. The marin would be in my "give it up dude" corner as i do like a challenge but also know when to stop wasting time. The post will probably melt out but, may take some of the paintwork with it. Then, there is the bottom bracket! Knackered spilines doesn't always mean it cannot be removed but, between that and the seatpost you will waste time trying to consider if one or the other will come out.

Salvage what you can, especially the tin badges....viewtopic.php?f=3&t=276504

;)

I think I still have some forks off a Saracen that was damaged by a courier. If a tapered fork is ok and the steerer is right I'm happy to sell them?

Cheers for the comments :) it's a straight through job so a tapered fork won't fit unfortunately. Thanks for the offer though.

I might treat myself to a carbon fork.... Orrr just bin both frames and get a later kona with fork which might work out more cost effective....

I didn't mean a tapered steerer, think i worded that totally wrong :LOL:

I meant curved where the correct P2's are straight.

What size is the Kona? Forks for 16/17/18" Konas come up fairly frequently. It's the 19 and 20" that are the buggers!

Both salvageable. Put a wanted ad up for forks. Should get a few offers.

Don't scrap the marin just get the Kona up and take your time getting the Seatpost first then bb. Penetrating oil will help immensely.

keep your eye out for a hahanna in same size as a complete bike. I picked one up for £30 and it had p2s on it. Prob cheaper than looking for the fork. Alternatively Pace RC35 and get a 1" steerer

Back