Dodgy Ebay Sellers

frank.youngman

Retro Guru
Is there a thread to list dodgy ebay sellers?

I got a pair of XT Shifters off "only5poundsbuyme" today and they were rubbish.The 7 speed shifter clicks through the first two gears only and then locks solid.Won't even move in non-indexed mode.

I contacted seller immediately and he responded that they weren't defective when they came off his bike and he wasn't going to refund.

Whole thing has been sent to the resolution centre,but sellers like this leave a bad taste in the mouth,should have been warned by his feedback rating.

Thats weird,the last set of XT shifters I bought were from "don'ttellempike" and they are working fine and I gave him good feedback.

I suppose that points up the difficulty of maintaining a thread about dodgy ebay sellers.

My interest in retro bikes was set off by my old dad gifting me an immaculate Proflex 855 with just a few miles on its clock.Didn't like the bike but it got me thinking.I got into mountain bikes early,but at a time when I was able financially to buy what I wanted within reason.I have been busy all year re-creating the bikes I bought back then:Orange Clockwork,Cannondale 3.0 series and finally Cannondale Beast of the East.The two Cannondales came as bare frames and forks which inevitably led me to Ebay.

So far I have had parts from USA,Canada and France,plus dozens of small buys off Ebay and a couple off Retrobike and I have to say up to now people have been honest and open.I bought a Cannondale for spares and repairs for instance on which most parts needed refurbishing,but that is how they were described.Occasionally I have bought the wrong thing or accumulated spares and these have been sold back through Ebay.

Todays purchase is the first time I have been sent dodgy parts and then met a trenchant refusal to anything about the problem,perhaps I have been lucky.Makes me reluctant to go back on Ebay for some more shifters until this is resolved by the resolution centre.

Put a claim in ebay will side with you over the shifters and you will get your money back. I have done this before with a front mech that was faulty the seller refused to do anything so opened a case. Ebay sided with me.

They side with the buyer but not in all cases. They do side with the seller as well as I have had this issue where a case was opened I refused to refund the case got escalated I reiterated my position and ebay decided in my favour. I know get the circumtances that they will side with either side. Ebay case system works well but you have to be honest. From what the OP has said ebay will side with you.

Now I have an issue with parts of here. Bought rims of one drilling and have got another. Stuff happens it is what the seller does about it that matters.

Interesting concept but I suspect we all have different experiences with ebay sellers, I have dealt with 'donttellhimpike' on numerous occasions and have great service every time.

I must be a very, very lucky person as, since I joined in 2003 and having recieved 1014 feedback over the years, I've only ever had two problems, some years ago I bought a Halo game as brand new and wrapped and it came open and scratched seller said his son opened it but sent it anyway, no refund ever given, second about 3 years ago brought a touring frame, all almost perfectly as described with awesome packaging only prob was, they didn't say the post was stuck and there was a bolt sheared off in one of the rack braze ons, £10 at LBS had both removed and bike is now hubbies workhorse.

Alison

Back